Pear Melomel Recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
I've been given about 35 pounds of local pears (after cleaning). I just robbed the hive of the last honey for the year.

Anyone have a Pear Mel recipe? :b

On a small scale,I have blended perry with mead,but on a larger scale,considering the price of honey,I have been reluctant to ferment them together due to possible clarity issues. "Making Wild Wines and Meads" has a recipe that uses honey and sugar.If you use the recipe,I'd be curious as to how it works for you.

I've been given about 35 pounds of local pears (after cleaning). I just robbed the hive of the last honey for the year.

Anyone have a Pear Mel recipe? :b
No recipe per se, but if you do the "freeze/thaw" method on the pears, then just let the juice run out naturally as it defrosts (perhaps use some ascorbic acid/vitamin C to prevent too much/any oxidation), then the pulp can be pressed. Then just add your favourite honey to bring the gravity up to a level that you're happy to ferment at.

You can always just reserve a couple of pounds of the fruit to add in after the ferment as finished, to retain more of a fruity flavour.......

regards

fatbloke

On a small scale,I have blended perry with mead,but on a larger scale,considering the price of honey,I have been reluctant to ferment them together due to possible clarity issues. "Making Wild Wines and Meads" has a recipe that uses honey and sugar.If you use the recipe,I'd be curious as to how it works for you.

I haven't been able to find my copy of that book since I returned from overseas. It was in a box of bee books that is... somewhere. :slp

Do you mind posting it?

Ken...
per gal.
4 1/2 lb.ripe pears
1 lb.sugar
1 lb.honey
juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 tsp. tannin
1 tsp.yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet(optional)
1 pkg.yeast
chop pears into 1" pieces and cover with the sugar
mix honey into 1/2 gal of water and boil
pour honey/water mix over the pears
add the other ingredients,except yeast and let stand for 24 hours
add yeast,ferment,etc.

if you desire any spices(cinnamon/nutmeg,etc.),add to mixture
before boiling and remove before adding to the rest of ingredients.

Ken...
I think I would do some tweaking on this recipe(fruit,etc.), and use the the hydrometer for proper S.G.,as well,but this recipe is what is called for in the book.

Myself, I'd remove the sugar and increase the honey to 2 or 2 1/2 pounds. Not boil the honey/water and use a campden tablet, then ferment as normal......

Team, here is the direction I went:

o 1 gallon of filtered, unpasturized, wildflower honey*
o 35 pounds steam juiced pears (approx 3.5g of juice) into bucket with honey
o 5 crushed campden tablets

- Stir until completely mixed. the steam-juice will be warm enough to help the honey dissolve.
- Cover and allow to cool to room temp.
- Check SG
- Add honey to desired point (1.085 or whatever you like). To add honey, take some must and warm (NOT BOIL) in a sauce pan. Add mixture to primary; stir; recheck SG.

o Water to 5.5g
o 5 tsp of acid blend**
o 5 tsp of yeast nutrient.
o 2.5 tsp of pectic enzyme.

- Wait 24 hours.
- Recheck SG and pH. Adjust as necessary.
- Pitch yeast (Lalvin D-47)***

- Monitor fermentation and once at about 1.010, rerack off the gross lees. Lalvin Yeast company reports about D-47, "When left on lees, ripe, spicy aromas with tropical and citrus notes are developed." This is not something I want in my delicate pear mead.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go.

(I've got an extra 5 pounds of pears to use as an FPAC.)

Note: Most honey is about 12 pounds per gallon, but density varies a bit. Also, some honey from overseas has a higher moisture content (less sugar). It's important that you adjust your recipe to the SG you want, not just assume.

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't look bad at all.

The only thing I might do differently, is freeze thaw the fruit, or mill and press. I never, never, heat process white or green fruit as you end up with a cooked flavour.

It's the same with apples and kiwi fruit.

Steam extraction is good, but only really suits red and black fruit, where any cooked taste is less of an issue.....

Yes, I got it started. This batch started with some difficulty so I added yeast energizer and a brew-belt to warm the bucket up. I don't know if that's common with honey or not.

It's almost a month in. After about 10 days in the primary fermenter, I reracked to a glass carboy. A week later, I reracked off the gross lees because D47 can leave an aftertaste, it was a beautiful honey-gold wine.

After noting that the wine appeared noticeably darker, I popped the airlock to taste it. There appears to be a trace of sweetness, but I didn't check the SG. For something that's only a month old, it's really good. I swiped a glass with the winethief and enjoyed it on the back porch. I think it'll be delightful cold.

I have no explanation for the darkening of the wine over the last two weeks, but it tastes good. I'm very happy so far.

It sounds very nice.I'm sure that you will continue to enjoy it even more.
If you get a chance,post your SG readings.

It sounds very nice.I'm sure that you will continue to enjoy it even more.
If you get a chance,post your SG readings.

I will this weekend.

I'm still astonished by the color. It's dark like sun tea, not golden like the batch of peach next to it. The fruit was not oxidized when I steam-juiced it.

I worked on the wine a bit. SG is 1.020, fermentation is now stuck.

I tried cooling it down to patronize the D47. I also tried warming it up. Acid was a little low, so I brought it up to about .65. I've added yeast starter (1tsp/gal).

I finally broke down and added a new yeast starter of Red Star Champagne.

No luck at all. This batch isn't gonna budge for me.

Any suggestions?

The last time I used D-47 with pear,it fermented from 1.085 to.1.000 within 6 days at 70-72 F. I used nutrient and energizer as part of the starter.I'm not sure what to suggest to kick start it since the champagne yeast and starter didn't do it.

Very well, thank you. I'm letting it set until Saturday, then going to see if I can cold-crash it to help drop the lees before racking.

I bought a new carboy at a fleamarket, so now I have something to rack it into. Everything else is full. :)

I'm glad you had a good fermentation It sounds like you will be enjoying several glasses on the porch next summer.

Latest posts

Back