Peachy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Long time no key!
I came upon some fresh peaches, and reviewed the recipes here. Only have two questions:
  1. What is the advantage over pulping, as opposed to dicing (leaving small pieces, and less 'goo')?
  2. I read 'stoned and quartered'. Even in the recipe using pulp, there was no mention of removing the skins. Is it necessary to get rid of the skins?

Thanks for any info.

Skins add to body with also a little bit of tannin, no need to remove the skin but I will suggest using a fermenting bag with peaches as they are a big mess later.

Sugar/gal

How may lbs per gallon?

Well.... I'm doing 7# of peaches for a 1 gal batch. A little more than a gallon to start with, allowing for racking down the road.

A little unconventional, but I let the hydrometer tell me how much sugar. I'll get the batch set, and take an SG reading, then calculate how many gr/l of sugar to add to get up around 1.08-1.09. I pull off some liquid from the batch to make a syrup, so all I'm adding to the volume is the sugar itself, and not diluting if further. I usually come out slightly on the low side, and might have to adjust up a bit. The last time I tried to adjust a 5 gallon recipe that called for 10# of sugar, my SG was all over the place.

Sounds like a good one there buddy! Thats the way I always adjust my sg. Never just follow a recipe even if its yours as sugar in fruit can change drastically from year to year or even from place to place.

Sounds like a good one there buddy! Thats the way I always adjust my sg. Never just follow a recipe even if its yours as sugar in fruit can change drastically from year to year or even from place to place.

LOL! <whew - afraid I was straying from the Path.>

My wife told my daughter, after the young'un moved out of the house:
"Recipe? I don't have a recipe for that. Recipes are for people who don't know what a 'dash' or a 'pinch' is." :)

I will CONFIRM if for one gallon you are set for some fine wine. Add a f-pac for Great wine

well either let it go dry and maybe back sweeten OR buy the extra fruit, make a f-pac and back sweeten

well either let it go dry and maybe back sweeten OR buy the extra fruit, make a f-pac and back sweeten

Okay.. Like everything else, I just go with the flow. I have a few days to think about it, and then play with it. ;)

Thanks for the advise, gang!

Holy, crap! My peach went from SG 1.085 to .997 in seven days in the primary!
Gotta rack it and watch the SG closer. Since I have so many 1 gal jugs, I'll probably just bulk age it while it clears. Tastes fairly peachy, so a little syrup may be all it needs.

Latest posts

Back