Peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
SCORE !
What a deal. Got 80#'s of OVER RIPE peaches. Isn't that what we need? More juice and sweetness.
Now to steam juice them on my propane burner. :b

Well I wound up with a little over 6 gallons of steamed juice.
Plan is 3 gallons juice for 6 gallon. 3 gallon of water, sugar to 1.088 Cote des Blancs yeast. Later will use 2 qt of steamed juice for a f-pac, then backsweeten

Ok...I'm still rather new to wine making. What is the purpose of the f-pac and what are the benefits????

A f-pac is a flavor pac. It is usually made with 20 to 30% of the same type of fruit that the wine was made with. You add it at the end along with sugar if wanted. It improves the fruity flavor quite a bit.
Tom I want to hear how you sTeam juiced using a propane burner.
Steve

A f-pac is a flavor pac. It is usually made with 20 to 30% of the same type of fruit that the wine was made with. You add it at the end along with sugar if wanted. It improves the fruity flavor quite a bit.
Tom I want to hear how you sTeam juiced using a propane burner.
Steve

Same as if on the stove. Except, Don't heat up the house. Oh yea, no mess that a hose cant take care of LOL..

Here is what it looks like.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XSO4O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Making a f-pac in a frying pan is much different than this setup. 1st FREEZE fruit.
F-pac on a stove. Use 20-30% of fruir used in primary. Put in large pot/frying pan and simmer all the while stiring fruit and breaking it down ad a little sugar to help extract the flavor. Run it thru a strainer and add to wine. ( add after secondart and after k-meta and sorbate)
TASTE, TASTE, TASTE. Once happy add simple syrup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to you folks here on the forum I made my frst f-pac for my 3 gal batch of Heritage Red raspberry wine I did following Tom's method. I used 10lbs of raspberries in the recipe so I used 3lbs for my f-pac. I took the juice from these berries, added sugar (no water) and simmered it on the stove for several minutes then added to my finished wine to taste. This wine is MONEY!! The last time I tasted it it was great. It's bulk aging right now to be sure it has finished clearing before I bottle it in another month. This is the best wine I've made to date by far. I even have some of the f-pac left over in the freezer. I'll be using this in a port wine I'm going to do this fall.

My strawberry batch is STILL fermenting (damn, it's been 3 weeks now) but I have fresh berries in the freezer waiting to be used in an f-pac for this wine as well.

See what happens when you "think out of the box".
I would have added the whole f-pac. I hope you k-meta and srobate BEFORE adding the f-pac. Also, now is the time to add your clearing agents and simple syrup to your taste. You may need to rack 2 more times.

I too have been doing this for years and I dont think you can make a semi-sweet or sweet wine any better than with this method. Somehow I missed this thread earlier, that just sounds scrumptious Tom!

YEP !
remember I said over ripe. In other words no store would sell them. BUTT, perfect for wine. This is the same guy I got over ripe Pineapples 33 for $10, 96#
Strawberry for $30. 96 # Blueberry I think $35?
Nice score right?

Is this like a farmers market guy? Thats awesome buddy, i gotta get hooked up like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually a produce guy @ the flea market. Thats all he sells overripe. Yes you need to go thru it but, I rarely toss much.

See what happens when you "think out of the box".
I would have added the whole f-pac. I hope you k-meta and srobate BEFORE adding the f-pac. Also, now is the time to add your clearing agents and simple syrup to your taste. You may need to rack 2 more times.

I didn't have to add any syrup. I added the sugar to the berry juice and kept adding the f-pac until it was sweet to my liking. I did rack it onto campden tabs and sorbate beforehand and added the clearing agents. It looks ready to bottle but I've bottled before when I thought it was ready and some slight sediment settled in the bottles so I'm being PATIENT, PATIENT, PATIENT!!

LOL on the 3"P's"
Give it at least a month and rack 1-2 more times

Latest posts

Back