Peaches gone wild

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitehrs

Junior Member - the new guy.. I'm learning, and ex
Reaction score
I have a peach batch that was perfect, added my F-pac.
Peach syrup from canned peaches
1/4 tsp kmeta
1/4 cup sugar

by perfect it went dry, 0.990 for like 5 days, racked and aged for a month, racked month racked again, and racked again a month later... It was perfectly clear, I added stabilizer at second racking. it restarted fermentation. I'm guessing it will be pretty strong.. Maybe not to bad, OG: 1.070. Yeast was EC-1118. So it should have been 11%, when I added the f-pac, and SG was 1.015. I would guess it should be about 12-13% when dry. The secondary fermentation has been going for about 2 weeks, about slow bubbles about 1 every 5 minutes.

Any input? Any secondary fermentation experience? Taste changes so on?

I'm going to watch this thread. I had a batch that I had stabilized (kmeta and sorbate) and a month later was going to back sweeten and bottle. I was worried that a month later I might start a second ferment. I was told that sorbate was a one and done and not to worry. It appears you have done the same and the party started again.....watching.

Edit: Exactly at what stage or racking did you add the peach syrup?

Last edited:
Would be rather strange if the combination of Sorbate and K-Meta didn't stop a ferment restart. One wonders if either Sorbate was not added (Not named here) or if something else was added by mistake. Don't think Sorbate gets old (Loses effectiveness) sitting in a bag/bottle unless it's very very old.

Would be rather strange if the combination of Sorbate and K-Meta didn't stop a ferment restart. One wonders if either Sorbate was not added (Not named here) or if something else was added by mistake. Don't think Sorbate gets old (Loses effectiveness) sitting in a bag/bottle unless it's very very old.

I was more worried that the sorbate had lost it's effectiveness after a month in the wine. We'll have to wait till Whitehrs gets back to find out if he added sorbate or not and just exactly when he added the syrup. He's been in the bathroom a LONG time.

That was my mistake no Sorbate. I will let it finish. I racked it the 27 of august, add kmeta and f-pac.. Pitched yeast june, 12th. into carbouy at 1.020 june 17th, Racked July 3rd, Racked july 30th it was at .990 at each of the 3 rackings. On august 27th was still like 0.990, then added f-pac to 1.015. one week later I see the airlock working. I have 2/3rd of a can of peach base left. I froze it, to preserve it. I will thaw it and do a Super sugar batch with it.. I just looked at it in the close 72 degrees and a bubble in the airlock every 15 minutes.. It is cloudy, and very orange.. I'll rack it this weekend, taste it, and test sg... Add sorbate..

I intend to get the peach super sugar going this weekend. My wife's favorite is peach and Peach is my nemosys.. I will make one that is good. I also, plan to do a Dragons blood with fruit, and about 1/4 or 1/8 the realemon.. Might go with orange so it is less tart.. not sure yet.. Peach Super Sugar..

My Peach is just about ready to bottle. It's been bulk aging for almost a year. After fermentation last winter, I did P sorbate and k meta. I have removed samples and back sweeten to test. It definitely improved with age, but the peach flavor is very subtle. No fPac used, just peaches straight from Colora Orchard in Rising Sun, MD.

Here is my Super Sugar Peach recipe/method.. Hope it is ok..

We will see. I will keep this update..

32 OZ of peach wine base
1.1 lbs sugar (About SG. 10 1.130 to 1.140)
1 tsp acid blend
.5 tsp pectin enzyme
1 tsp yeast Nutrient
1 campden tab crushed and mixed well with water.
1/4 tsp tanin
Cotes des blanc yeast
water to 1 gallon
Sterilize everything.
to the bucket, add the peaches. add the campden, pectin, nutrient, tanin and acid blend and smash the peaches with potato masher. added water to 1.25 gallon, and sugar to 1.130~1.140 Original SG. cover and wait 24 hours. Check SG, and ensure that 1.130 to 1.140 SG. pinch yeast cover loosely, and stir every day, checking and recording SG daily until it the SG is 1. about 1.040. squeeze through a mess bag, old sterile pillow case, or whatever to extract all the good juices.. rack to gallon carboy, and a Carlo Rossi bottle for over flow, airlock and let ti roll for 3 weeks. Rack again. add P Sorbate, kmeta and sparkloid. Mix with degasser, airlock rack again on 3 month intervals hope it is good.

1.141 OG. day 3 1.120 sg. is plugging right along 72 degrees..

I didn't see the peaches on the recipe, just the base. How many pounds of peaches did you add?

1.141 OG. day 3 1.120 sg. is plugging right along 72 degrees..

So, not sure how this is going to turn out. The Super Sugar method is based off of 4 cans concentrate per gallon of wine to be made. I am guessing your wine may end up light on flavor, but time will tell. Probably bump that acid blend up to 2 tsp. next time. The wine will turn out and be drinkable for sure, but you may want to try the recipe spot on next time so you can compare.

What exactly is "peach wine base"?

I'll have to try this.. I'm going to do a 2 gallon, version of D the B next..
The one so far is actually the best tasting peach I've done..

The one you are currently doing shouldn't be far off from the one above as you used 32oz. of concentrate(I believe that is what Vintners Harvest is) and the above would be 46oz.

I am doing one with straight Welche's 100% juice, but added a can of peaches with the syrup.
So far it seems to be pretty good. A 3 gal batch.

Bill

Last edited:
The Vinters Harvest base is 96oz. I have a can of raspberry from them for a raspberry choc port I am going to make. Still looking for a good recipe for it. I plan on adding more raspberries to the batch, that's why I'm wondering how many lbs of peaches Whitehrs added to this batch.

The Vinters Harvest base is 96oz. I have a can of raspberry from them for a raspberry choc port I am going to make. Still looking for a good recipe for it. I plan on adding more raspberries to the batch, that's why I'm wondering how many lbs of peaches Whitehrs added to this batch.

When I received the can, I split into 3 quarts, made a 1 gallon with one, it is the run away fermentation.
used another for one gallon of super sugar peach.. I'll let you know how it works.
The can says it will make 3 to 5 gallon. I would probably do 3 gallon with it. the Peach is actually like a 96 oz of the peach halves in syrup.
When the super sugar goes to secondary, I'll be making a two gallon DB with the mixed berries frozen, Apple-grape concentrate, Berry blend concentrate, pineapple concentrate, and peaches frozen. I'm going for color more than anything.

Latest posts

Back