Peach...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kujo66

Reaction score
I have my peach in secondary for a week now and all is looking good. I will be leaving to work out of town for next 3 weeks. Is it ok to leave it in there till I get back? Will be about month or 5 weeks by time I rack it again.

When was the last time you racked?

How much sediment is in the bottom?

When was the last time you added k-meta?

If there is sediment - i would go ahead and rack now - add in some k-meta - let it sit for 3 months.

peach..

Let me back up... I just racked into secondary from primary Its still bubbling yet

hmm - it will be done fermenting before you are back to rack it. the wine will probably be in contact longer than what you would want it to be on the gross lees.

I would just rack as soon as you can when you get back - and stabilize it. Other than that not sure what else you can do.

What was the SG when you racked to secondary? If you are not leaving for a few days - the wine might be done and you can rack before you leave.

Wine..

SG was 1.40. Im leaving tommorrow AM. I guess Ill have to teach the wife!

Back in town...

Just racked peach again...I plan on racking one or two more times before doing an F-pac. I plan on doing this after I rack the one or two more times and then racking again of course after the f-pac. After I do f-pac and what not and I backsweeten how much sugar should I use for a gallon?? Is there a rule of thumb or not?? I should dilute sugar in boiling water correct??

Just racked peach again...I plan on racking one or two more times before doing an F-pac. I plan on doing this after I rack the one or two more times and then racking again of course after the f-pac. After I do f-pac and what not and I backsweeten how much sugar should I use for a gallon?? Is there a rule of thumb or not?? I should dilute sugar in boiling water correct??

If it is done fermenting, i would go ahead and stabilize the wine. Wait 3-4 days and then add the f-pac and backsweeten. At this time if you are using a fining agent - you can add this as well - then rack in 3-4 weeks.

As far as sugar goes - backsweeten to your taste - everybody uses different amounts.

For a semi-dry white wine - i like to sweeten to SG 1.008. For a sweet dessert wine - i like to sweeten to SG 1.030.

Use the WineCalc - it will help you determine how much sugar you need to add to get to a desired SG.

Or you could just sweeten to your likings - take an SG reading and write it down for next time.

f pac...

So itll be ok to re-open carboy and put in my sorbate now? I just racked it after 3 weeks of being in secondary. I just want to make sure before i do this. Thanks

Ensure that it is complete - check your SG readings for 3 days - if no change then it is done.

Add k-meta and sorbate in.

1st I suggest doing a F-Pac early NOW. F-Pac will cloud the wine so do it now. Backsweeten to YOUR taste. No rules on amt of simple syrup added

peach SG

My SG is 990 after 3 weeks in secondary. Should I check SG for another couple days or am I good to go adding F-pac? I do not have room to add anything right now probably until I rack off sediment again. There is about 1/2" of sediment now on bottom after second day of racking.

If SG is .990 for 3 weeks you are done.

Go ahead and stabilize if you haven't yet. Add your f-pac and fining agent as well.

Another peach question...

Im just racked my peach for first time from secondary after being in there for 3 weeks. I added my K-meta and I wanna add an F-pac as mentioned. I plan to do this hopefully tomorrow. I see if I rack it again I will gain some room for the f-pac because there is another 1/2" of sediment Ill be racking off. Once I do the F-pac should I also add another campden or not? Or should I just stabilize? I just added one few days ago.

If you just added the k-meta in - don't add it again.

Have you added sorbate in? If not add it in 1/2 tsp per gallon of wine.

Then wait 3-4 days - then add your f-pac and backsweeten.

Agree!
You need both meta and sorbate before f-pac or backsweetening.

Latest posts

Back