Peach Won't Clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineon4

Reaction score
I made 10 gallon of Peach from fresh peaches. I took enough peaches to make 10 gallon without water and put them in a blender and made 15 gallon of puree. When it reached 1.002 I racked to the secondary. It has now been setting at .0999 for 3 weeks with bentonite and nothing. Last evening I racked, back sweetened, and stabilized then added sparkalod to it. It is still as cloudy as the day I moved from the primary.

Has it been degassed?

Peach takes its sweet time clearing.
I have a 10 month old batch that still isnt clear, although it's on its way.

CO2 really gets in gravity's way though

I have degassed it twice with the drill wand, last evening I tried it and no CO2 came forward, seems to be degassed. I always use bentonite but saw suggestions for Sparkalod so I tired it now my wine is both cloudy and tan.

Next time, I would recommend not using a blender. It creates more fines that can be hard to get out.

Assuming you already used pectic enzyme, I would add no more clearing agents than you already have. Frankly you just need to be patient. I had a batch of apple once that behaved just as you described, and it cleared on its own after a year.

If you have the ability, one other thing that may help is to chill it to 30-32F for a couple weeks.

I added pectic at the start and my local wine supply suggested it again, I have yet to add more. It has a slight tan color from the sparkalod. Taste is great. spaniel I always use a blender with my fruit helps give a intense flavor, pain to rack but I have not had a problem in the past. Tested the acid and it is right at 3.4 and SO2 was at 50ppm. before fining was added.

I have degassed it twice with the drill wand, last evening I tried it and no CO2 came forward, seems to be degassed. I always use bentonite but saw suggestions for Sparkalod so I tired it now my wine is both cloudy and tan.

I found in some of my wines that when I used the sparkolloid it made some of my lighter wines have a tannish hue.Once it clears the color will go away. As Deezil said "have patience" some do take longer

I am not advising but i cleared a peach and a mango, which both have similar fibers tissue...as below.
i added package 1 of super kleer and stirred very gently.
i immediately added package 2 and stirred gently.
both cleared in like 36 hours....the peach i had to do a second time.....

I've had to use super kleer after all else failed and then filtered my peach wine. Nothing else worked.

I added pectic at the start and my local wine supply suggested it again, I have yet to add more. It has a slight tan color from the sparkalod. Taste is great. spaniel I always use a blender with my fruit helps give a intense flavor, pain to rack but I have not had a problem in the past. Tested the acid and it is right at 3.4 and SO2 was at 50ppm. before fining was added.

Yes, I've made hundreds of gallons of fruit wine using a blender (before I had other options. It often turns out fine. But with peaches and apples, it can go either way. Never had an issue with soft berries (raspberries) or cherries.

I made a batch of peach this year, ran them through a fruit chopper to rip them up well. When I pressed the wine out there was not much pulp left, the flavor extracted well.

The caution is that if you keep adding fining agents you risk stripping flavor. I would proceed carefully with them.

You have pectic enzyme on the front, months later... bentonite added about three weeks ago, and sparkalloid added the other day.

Cold mix sparkalloid typically starts to show results within 48 hours. Hot mix sparkalloid needs a few weeks depending upon the volume and clarity of the must.

Patience. And a drop of at least 10F would be helpful, in most cases. But if you end up adding another agent, rack first.

Next time, add the bentonite up front.

Last edited:
Is there a typical time period when some clarity might appear on a peach or pear when the bentonite is added up front? I have a pear melomel with bentonite in carboy for a week.I used raw golden rod honey.Bentonite,up front. I'm getting tons of lees,but have yet to notice much clarity.It is a beautiful bright gold/orange color,at this point.

Last edited:
peach pear and mango are all hard to clear, and lots of sediment due to the pulp....you can force rack it, by racking once a day, and that will speed up the clearing. and rack to the side of the carboy, not just let pour in and make bubbles.

I'll let time take care of it.I make a few batches of pear every year.They do quite well on there own.This was the first or second time using bentonite.

If you are like me you won't rest until it's clear. There was no detectable flavor change.
Go ahead and vaccum rack wine into clean carboy, with super kleer solution inside; so that you rack wine onto clearing agent. Also you need to make sure to degas.

Last edited:
Is there a typical time period when some clarity might appear on a peach or pear when the bentonite is added up front? I have a pear melomel with bentonite in carboy for a week.I used raw golden rod honey.Bentonite,up front. I'm getting tons of lees,but have yet to notice much clarity.It is a beautiful bright gold/orange color,at this point.

It's just getting started. Really, you shouldn't even bother looking at it for a couple months.

Once my wines are off the heavy lees, I uncover the carboys every couple months and take a look while checking the airlock water level. I don't even worry about clarity for 5-6 months, minimum.

I understand that. I was just curious if the bentonite had any effects early on,rather than non bentonite.Evidently not.I tried the bentonite again on 12 gal. of pure pear wine.I'm curious to see how the lees accumulation compares with the raw honey melomel.Both appear to be coming along nicely.

What was the dose of bentonite you used in the primary. It's possible it wasn't enough.

There's another thing you can do when you are working with viscous juices and that's to use Lallzyme C-Max instead of pectic enzyme. It seems to work better and also helps clarification because it's specially formulated for rapid de-pectinization.

Latest posts

Back