Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Rojoguio

Reaction score
Our local Sam's has yellow peaches for $9 for 4# flat. I plan on picking up 12#'s next week for a batch of Peach. Have you made Peach before and which Yeast did you use, please?

frankd0024

Junior
Reaction score
Our local Sam's has yellow peaches for $9 for 4# flat. I plan on picking up 12#'s next week for a batch of Peach. Have you made Peach before and which Yeast did you use, please?
This is my second time making peach. I only did a 5 gallon batch last year and had people trying to buy it for $35 a bottle. I use EC118. I also put two pounds of red grapes and two pounds of plums isn with 40 pounds of peaches after pitting.

Rojoguio

Reaction score
Thank you, I just processed excess plums to freeze yesterday. Also have EC118. I'm switching to 71B for my Country wines (for any fruit with tart skins) so a use for the EC118 I have on hand is great. I used EC118 for a batch of Plum, let it extract too long, now have a tartness in the batch of Plum from the skins that 71B does not extract.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Having had a bad experience with unripe store bought peaches, I only use peaches from a local orchard and I ask for their overripe and bruised/imperfect fruit. All I have to remove are the stones and any moldy parts. The softer the better, even a little brownness to the peach pulp isn't bad if there is no mold. If the bruised or imperfect are not ripe enough (Soft) I let them sit out and ripen until they are fully ripe. My pounds per gallon rate is typically at least 6.5 to 7 pounds and and for my standard 3 gallon batch I make sure my starting volume is at least 4.5 gallons. My must is really hard to get a SG reading from since I don't juice the peaches but rather mash them as much as possible. I dissolve my sugar addition in water (2:1 Sugar:Water) and the helps but not enough so I have to wait at least overnight for the juice to start to break down.

Rojoguio

Reaction score
Wow on the fruit per gallon. I felt the peaches I froze were a bit firm, if they are not ready for wine my wife will bake me a fresh peach pie and I will make quick bread out of the rest. I have 12 peach trees 2-3 years old. Once in production I won't buy from a store anymore.