Peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezzocul

Junior
Reaction score
Hello wine consultants,

I started a peach wine from a gallon of peach concentrate from an online supplier. I added only 4 gal of spring water, wanting a more flavorful peach wine. After my first week of fermentation, and Sg less than 1.00, I racked it into a 5g carboy. Here it is 2 weeks later and the wine turned very dark. That is the first time that happened to me. It smells and tastes like peaches. Anyone can suggest what happened? See attached picture

Attachments

• 15888861319486108405904828147135.jpg
    15888861319486108405904828147135.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
I would not expect a shelf stable canned concentrate to turn dark in two weeks.

Peach is subject to browning reactions when exposed to oxygen. (SO2 level?) Once it has browned you can not reverse the chemistry. However you may luck out and have the solids drop out and carry most of the brown.

Rice_guy, thanks for your reply. As you can see, there is virtually no head and no oxidation opportunity. I will wait and let time do its thing; hopefully it will drop down.

Hello wine consultants,

I started a peach wine from a gallon of peach concentrate from an online supplier. I added only 4 gal of spring water, wanting a more flavorful peach wine. After my first week of fermentation, and Sg less than 1.00, I racked it into a 5g carboy. Here it is 2 weeks later and the wine turned very dark. That is the first time that happened to me. It smells and tastes like peaches. Anyone can suggest what happened? See attached picture
that looks fairly natural at this point, i do peach from concentrate, i use homewinery.com.
now if you're doing a six gal carboy, then you call them and order a half gallon jug of peach plus another pint (phone call only) i do mine in 13 gallon batches. so i order 3 peach concentrates , that gives me after ferment then i have 2 6 gal carboys and a 1 gal finger hole jug airlocked for topping off my two sixes with, each time i top off my one gallon goes to smaller jugs, half gallon, pints, fifths ant glass jug i can airlock off, by bottling time my peach looks peach in color, right now i have 3 sixes of banana that iis at least that dark, but in 6 to 8 months it will be a light golden yellow color,
check out this site, homewinery.com
Dawg

BTW Rice_Guy is right it will drop in time, patience is wines greatest ingredient period,,,,

that looks fairly natural at this point, i do peach from concentrate, i use homewinery.com.
now if you're doing a six gal carboy, then you call them and order a half gallon jug of peach plus another pint (phone call only) i do mine in 13 gallon batches. so i order 3 peach concentrates , that gives me after ferment then i have 2 6 gal carboys and a 1 gal finger hole jug airlocked for topping off my two sixes with, each time i top off my one gallon goes to smaller jugs, half gallon, pints, fifths ant glass jug i can airlock off, by bottling time my peach looks peach in color, right now i have 3 sixes of banana that iis at least that dark, but in 6 to 8 months it will be a light golden yellow color,
Dawg

BTW Rice_Guy is right it will drop in time, patience is wines greatest ingredient period,,,,
I learn so'o much from you guys! Thankyou to all of you who post on these threads. So helpful to a new winemaker!

Dawg

Dawg,
Thanks for all the very useful info. will check out home winery website

Latest posts

Back