Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Local grocer had frozen fruit on sale. Bought 12# of peaches. Plan was to use 9# to make 2 gal. batch. This is the amount I use to make blueberry and it turns out great. After fermented, make an fpac with the rest and add back in for flavor, similar to what I do with my strawberry.
However, I know peach is lighter than blueberry. A few recipes I have looked at, ie: Winemakers book that came with my equipment kit, Keller's, etc. call for 2 1/2# per gal. Others call for 5-6# per gal.
For any of you peach wine makers, what is your normal lb./gal. ratio?

Peaches are a much milder fruit than blueberries. I won't add any water at all to a peach wine.

I've now made 3 batches of 6 gallons each. Believe I use 15 pounds for the first batch, something like 18 pounds for the second and 24 pounds for my most recent batch. This most recent batch has come out the best with more noticeable aroma and taste of peach than the first two batches. So for me around 5# per gallon would be the sweet spot.

I've also kept my %ABV in the 10-11% range and used brown sugar, honey and peach flavored white grape juice concentrate (2 cans) for back sweetening.

My peach wine has been a big hit with family and friends. My wife recently insisted I not give anymore away. :(

I've now made 3 batches of 6 gallons each. Believe I use 15 pounds for the first batch, something like 18 pounds for the second and 24 pounds for my most recent batch. This most recent batch has come out the best with more noticeable aroma and taste of peach than the first two batches. So for me around 5# per gallon would be the sweet spot.

I've also kept my %ABV in the 10-11% range and used brown sugar, honey and peach flavored white grape juice concentrate (2 cans) for back sweetening.

My peach wine has been a big hit with family and friends. My wife recently insisted I not give anymore away. :(

So are you just putting the peaches in a mesh bag in the primary, and squeezing out all the juice you can get?
Also, I assume you are using just under 6 gal. water?

Peaches are a much milder fruit than blueberries. I won't add any water at all to a peach wine.

That was my thought, on being milder.
However, I don't think I can get much juice out of 12# or at least not enough to make a gallon or so.

I think I am going to have to add water to make it worth my time. That is where I was hoping the fpac on the back end would bring some more flavor in. That is what I do with my strawberry and it turns out very good. To me, peach is even milder than strawberry, so we'll see.

well I was getting ready to say to use grape peach juice instead of water but wpt-me beat me to it!!!!!!

So are you just putting the peaches in a mesh bag in the primary, and squeezing out all the juice you can get?
Also, I assume you are using just under 6 gal. water?

I de-stone and quarter the peaches and then freeze. When ready to rock n' roll the peaches are thawed and split into two nylon mesh bags. Spring bottled water added to the 6 gallon mark.

Good luck with your batch.

I de-stone and quarter the peaches and then freeze. When ready to rock n' roll the peaches are thawed and split into two nylon mesh bags. Spring bottled water added to the 6 gallon mark.

Good luck with your batch.

Ok, that was exactly my thought as the fruit is frozen so once thawed will give me a little juice, plus the added water.

@wpt-me and @julie
Good thought. Not sure that I want a Welchs base. Back in the day(2013) I made a white grape/peach Welchs that jamesngalveston had on here. I wanted a light wine with a hint of peach.

Of course thinking about it, I could use some reconstituted grape/peach juice, then it wouldn't be as heavy/thick as the concentrate version.

Such world problems.

@wpt-me and @julie

Of course thinking about it, I could use some reconstituted grape/peach juice, then it wouldn't be as heavy/thick as the concentrate version.

Such world problems.

That's a good idea!

It was an experiment that went well. I have to do it every year now for the sweet wine lovers.

It was an experiment that went well. I have to do it every year now for the sweet wine lovers.

I gotcha. Yeah, I have my "go to" ones like that for the "sweeties". I can do semi-sweet at best with the fruit wines but otherwise, dry reds.

Latest posts

Back