Peach wine - what do I do now?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont see any sediment, but there shouldn't be much. It's been racked off the sed several times. If there is any sed, it's too little to see from the outside, and the wine is too cloudy inside to see..

It was clear once.

I was reading Wade to say the temp should be higher?

What is the optimal temp? The actual temp right now is 65 deg.

Is there nothing I can add to speed this up some? Is it a mistake to try to speed it up? I've come this far, so I don't want to mess it up....

But I want to drink it before I age a lot more....ha ha ha

If it was clear though then I dont think its pectin. What is the temp, sometimes cooler temps work to help but if you added a fining agent in cold temps they usually dont work well at all.
Here Wade was talking about clearing.

When he talked abour higher temps that was for fermentation.
Hope this "clears" things up for you. :)

Fining agents usually require warm temps. Ive seen it first hand and have had many people have the problem fix their wine just by warming up their wine and stirring it back up if needed. Most fining agets dont work in cold temps so just getting the temp up to around 75* will most likely fix this error you have.

Thanks Wade.

I've has the wine at 75 deg for the last few days. BUT< I didn't stir it.

The isinglass is still in it. Do I need to re-add it, or will the constant 75 deg just start to make it work?

Any feel for when it should clear now it's at 75?

Thanks for all your help. I couldn't have gotten this far without your advice.

Give it 2 weeks and if you still dont see any improvement tir it all up again or rack off and dd another fining agent like SuperKleer.

I have noticed that if you don't mix the pot sorbate so that it is completly dissolved it will cause a haze when you add it back to the batch. And it can be a pain to get dissolved. I usually take a small portion of wine from the batch and put in a small pot on stove then add pot sorbate and heat it up alittle and stir until completly clear. Then add back to batch.

Right. I always dissolve the meta and sorbate before adding

Peach wine - what do I do now

Well, It's Feb 23 and my wine still ahsn't cleared.....I added isinglass, and then later tried superkleer....still the same cloudiness. The problem started when I added the sorbate. Maybe I didn;t dissolve it enough.

Now I have wine from beyond the grave......

BECAUSE It just won't clear. I have kept the temp at 75-78 deg (verified daily by digital thermometer) for 2 months........and still cloudy....

Is there a solution, or do I drink it cloudy? I started this Aug 1, and now I'm still not ready to bottle anything yet.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas? I'm lost.....

If this wine has been degassed good at temps around 75* then it sounds like you either have a pectin haze which means you will want to add more pectic enzyme to rid your wine of this haze or chill it really good cause sometimes wines will clear better in cold temps.

OK RACK
Then Degas!
Then add Potassium Metabisulfite and Sorbate
Add clearing agent
wait 2-4 weeks "Taste"
If still flat I would suggest you back sweeten with simple syrup to your taste. (2 parts sugar to 1 part water.. I use spaghetti jars)
Whats the recipe? That would help..

Tom,
does the simple syrup need refrigerated after making a batch for use later?

Yes, canning is another good way and would take up less space in the fridge. I will have to look into a steamer soon when my Black Currants start to produce!

arrgh.... now you've done it Reminded me of something else for my list.....

Thx, Wade :)

i add lemon juice to the syrup to keep it from going bad. i keep 1-2 gallons of the stuff ready. never had any issues as sugar doesn't spoil easily, especially with a little citric acid.

peach wine has done this to me. it's a pita to clear. i don't recommend adding fining agents twice, unless one of them is bentonite.

Latest posts

Back