Peach wine questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
Back in early September i started my peach wine. I am thinking it should be pretty clear now. Well it is still pretty cloudy. Is it to early to add extra Pectic Enzyme to it? Or should I just be a little more patient and hold off?

On a slightly different note what can I add to secondary to help with the body? Seems a little thin yet.

I appreciate any opinions.

I've done 2 batches of peach and with both batches needed to use an extra dose of enzyme. This was done maybe just a few weeks after initial fining with SuperKlear. I believe that with one batch I also had to do a second fining with SuperKlear. So to answer your question directly I don't believe it is too early to add Pectic Enzyme, but I've no experience adding it so late.

Add pectic enzyme. Since it is after fermentation you will need much more than what the directions call for. I always triple or quadriple the amount when fruit is being stubborn. Sometimes it takes multiple doses, as well. Not sure what will help body at this point, have you thought about glycerin, that adds some sweetness as well.

As to your second question... I've read here that adding a couple of bananas to the secondary will add some body. I've done it several times but never in a controlled test. I can only say that it never appeared to hurt my wine.

Cut them up and throw them in? Dont boil in water or anything?

Cut them up and throw them in? Dont boil in water or anything?

That's all I did after peeling. I have read where some will leave the peel on the slices.

Hope someone else chimes in to comment on this tweak.

I've also used raisins but that was with a RJS Valpolicella kit that spoke about a raisin taste which I was looking to enhance.

Maybe you ought to use the the sites search engine to search for banana and raisin tweaks.

For the body,
If it needs sweetened, you can use honey - that will help a little.
But it should only take approx. 2/3 the amount of sugar-weight, in honey.
If it took 60 grams of sugar to bring the batch to where you liked it, you'd only need 40 grams of honey.

For the cloudiness,
Pectic enzyme might solve the issue, but it could be a CO2 issue as well (might need degassed)

Most tweaks for the body are also going to influence other characteristics of the wine, when done post-fermentation, so there's other things to consider (that we can't really do for you, lol) when it comes to thing we might be able to suggest..

- Oak
- Blending
- Tannins/Additives

Just some thoughts,
Hope it helps some

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will start with the bannas and when ready to Sweeten, use the honey.

Back