Peach Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
I saw in another thread the recommendation of leaving the skins on and freezing the peaches.
A friend of mine made peach wine last summer and I am planning on a batch myself pretty soon here. He prepared his peaches by scalding them a bit to easily remove the skins then cut the pits out. Weighed things as he was going and dropped them right in his primary and mashed with a potato masher.
Looks like a different way to accomplish the same result?
My friends way seems a bit on the messy side.

The method seems really fien.

I would however add a few steps.

Afther scalding I would remove the skins.
Then indeed de-stone the peaches.

Next I would put the skins in zip-locks or a large plastic bag and would do the same with the peaches.

Next I would put these bags in the freezer for a few days.

Then I would take about 1 kilo of peaches out of the freezer and thaw them. When at room temp I would add pectic enzymes and wait 24 hours. Then I would press this lot and I would knew how much juice this would gain.
I would taste the juice and decide from that if I would dillute the juice with water or not.

Then I would process the rest.
Put the skins in a nylon stocking and add them to the peaches in a primary.
Next step is thaw and when at room temperature add some sulphite and pectic enzymes.

Afther 24 hours I would measure the quantity of the juice, add or not add water depending on my findings of the 1 liter test, adjust sugar and acid levels (using citric acid) and make the wine from the pure juice. I would however pulp ferment for about a week for extracting maximum flavor.
Afther that week I would press and transfer to secondary.

Just my 2 cents.

Luc

Latest posts

Back