Peach wine not clearing 4 months old

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lloyd

green grape
Reaction score
I did a starch test and a pectin test neither I trusted much but the peach has not cleared at all in 4 months. what gives? Thinking of using kieselsol and chitosan please advise. Thank you
:tz:tz:tz:tz:tz:tz

All my peaches have taken FOREVER to clear.... i just rack it every so often and stick it back in the corner :) time and patience.. i don't know about the others but someone will come along ...

Thank you for the reply. so I'm not alone but does any one know why they take so long????

I had the same problem with my peach wine. After about 6 months I hit it with SuperKleer and that helped but it was still hazy. I then ran it through my filter which goes against everything Ive ever read and it did the job wonderfully. Ive always read and preached not top filter a cloudy wine but it was all I had left besides using Sparkaloid and I really wanted to get it in bottles after waiting like another month and a 1/2 again after fining. Didnt even really show anything on the filter either??

It makes me wonder if the age of the fruit has anything to do with the pectin being free and available for the Pectic enzyme to work on?? if it was picked a little early, would the pectin be tied up, so that by the time it frees up from the cellulose, the enzme may have settled out?? therefore leaving a pectic haze??
My granny said 2nds peaches set better than fresh... and they do seem to have more sugar content ect the riper they are... Just a thought??

I have a batch of peach that is a two months old and super clear---from Vintner's Harvest wine base. My guess would be (as the others) pectin. Peach is notorious for pectin haze.

A dose of pectic enzyme wouldn't hurt. I had a Pinot Gris last year that sat for three months without clearing a bit. After an alcohol test for pectin was positive, I dosed it and it cleared in less than a week. <and it turned out to be very, very good!>

Treat it with bentonite, which is very good for clearing protein haze.

Next time you make peach, you might want to try a different pectinase,called Lallyme C Max. It is made,specifically, for clearing white wines. Use it instead of pectic enyme.

I made 15 gal. of peach wine in June, same peaches,etc. etc. 2-5gal. carboys cleared in 5 months on their own. 1 is still a little cloudy[8 mo.], go figure! I'll let it sit another few months & then treat/filter if needed. Been making peach wine for 5 years now & never had to treat before, just TIME. Roy

well i only have 1 6gal carboy, 1 3gal carboy and 1 1gal carboy so i guess i will not make peach at this time. wine patience is still not something i have mastered yet. I am still finding it hard not to drink young wine. my oldest wine i have made was bottled in Jan. 12 lol. gonna bottle my grapefruit this weekend after my filter comes in.

Nope, I don't think that it. My fruit was well ripened. We actually got it outta the overripe bulk bin at the farm. Then we aged it a few more days untill it was really ripe, and then i squished it (easier than cutting) (LOL) and froze till ready... Good theory tho :)

It makes me wonder if the age of the fruit has anything to do with the pectin being free and available for the Pectic enzyme to work on?? if it was picked a little early, would the pectin be tied up, so that by the time it frees up from the cellulose, the enzme may have settled out?? therefore leaving a pectic haze??
My granny said 2nds peaches set better than fresh... and they do seem to have more sugar content ect the riper they are... Just a thought??

Any body used these products kieselsol and chitosan? I gotta say you look great in that pic Jeeping chick that blouse looks great with your hair and eyes.:i:i:i:i:i:i:i

Well now my peach wine is 7 months old and still not Clearing.:m:m:m:m:m:m:m:m:m:m:m:m:m

My peach is just under 3 months since strarting. Neither are showing any signs of being "clear" just yet. Both appear fairly hazy. They are due to be racked in about 2 weeks so I'll likely back sweeten at that point the allow them to sit anf age. If need be I'll hit it with some super kleer, that always seems to do the trick.

If it doesn't clear after using the super kleer, get it in the refrigerator and give it a while in there. That usually will clear it up. If that doesn't work, use some bentonite to attack that pectin haze.

have you smelled it or tasted it?
Yes Julie I tried it this morning. it is smooth with a mild peach taste. The alcohol content is to high I'm disappointed to say as it overshadows the peach flavor. but it has no off taste and fair mouth feel. not great but an ok wine. It just will not clear.

Our last batch of peach was like that for awhile. we ended up using bentonite then Superklear. Make sure you degased well as Dezil said and filter it.
The batch we did was just like yours. the alcohol over powered the peach, but only for about 6 months in the bottle then it began to turn around and now the peach is more pronounced than the alcohol and it is 16.5%

Yes Julie I tried it this morning. it is smooth with a mild peach taste. The alcohol content is to high I'm disappointed to say as it overshadows the peach flavor. but it has no off taste and fair mouth feel. not great but an ok wine. It just will not clear.

K, I wanted to rule out a wine that might have spoiled.

I think I will rack, then bentonite let settle again, then filter. add the peach flavoring that Wade suggested add camden and bulk age. How does that sound?

Latest posts

Back