peach wine corks blow

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mersydo

Junior
Reaction score
made peach wine for the first time one year ago and when i opened the first bottle about a month ago the wine seemed dry so i added a syrup mix to each bottle and recorked. i uncorked one today and the cork came out in a rush ( like you would expect champagne to act ). also, i noticed that two corks have came out on their own and all of the corks are moving ( in the direction of popping out also ). should i just recork all and be ok?? i was under the assumption that after a year was up i didn't need to add sorbate to discourage fermentation ( apparently i was wrong ). lastly, the syrup mix has left sediment in the bottles ).

Did you add sorbate in before?

Could be fermentation or possibly CO2 being released - did you degass?

Sounds like you didn't add enough sorbate

Don't know how many bottles you have. I have been there done that. Wound up getting the full bottles in the reefer and cooling them down. Then come opening time went outside. The apple wine was really good and sparkling, just drank it faster than I intended. We live and learn. lol. Arne.

I concur, the cooled liquid can hold more carbonation so cooling it before opening is the way to go.

the syrup mix has left sediment in the bottles ).

Sounds like the yeast were sleeping (dormant) and were reactivated with the addition of syrup. Was any sorbate added at all.

Sounds like you need to uncork, add sorbate and k-meta and rebottle. Don't forget to degass.

Yes, you needed the sorbate. The problem now is you have an active ferment going on in each bottle which is what is causing the sediment. Like everyone has said you need to uncork all bottles. Adding sorbate at this point will not stop the ferment. You will need to put back into the carboy and let it finish fermenting. Then add sorbate and K-meta and backsweeten. Hopefully the sugar you added won't overpower the wine with alchohol.
Good Luck,
Scott

Latest posts

Back