Peach Recipe advise

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ws7293

Junior
Reaction score
I have 28 lbs of peaches in the freezer,(that is total weight after seed removal and cutting up, skind on). I want to make a 3 gallon batch and have a need for a GOOD recipe.

I also have a few questions:
1. How do you account for the sugar in the peaches when adding your sugar. I want a 8% apv and know what SG I should have but do not know how to adjust down for the sugar that will be in the fruit. (hope that makes since).

2. How much should I hold back for F=Pac, have read a few post where peache needs more flavor at the back end.

3. Also read a few about "What the acid" are peaches high or low in acid, can deal with low but how to adjust high?

You need more....
Peach wine I make is 6-7# per gal + 25% more for a f-pac.
Google and download WineCalc Neat program just fill in the fields and will tell U how much sugar to add. You want a starting gravity of 1.060
You need to gat a TA test kit to ck the acid level. You will also need;
Meta
Sorbate
Cote des Blancs yeast
nutrient
clearing agents
carboys etc...

If I'm figuring right, wouldn't 28 be enough for a 3 gallon batch?
21 lbs for the fermenting and then another 7 for the F-Pac.
I want to make a good peach wine, but they are still too high priced for me at the local Walmart.
Wish I could make a road trip to GA for a load.

Can you recommend a good recipe Tom. I believe peaches are still on sale at Aldi's. Might try a Strawberry Peach blend if I pick up some peaches....

Doing 18 gallons as I type.
36# pit and freeze
Do U have a steam juicer? ...

I used the recipe from this forum Doug. I had 21 pounds of strawberries and 10 pounds of peaches from GFS. It's down to 1.010 and I just now pulled the fruit. I added a tiny amount of tannin to my must.

My sugar I aimed on the low side in case I had to add more if I had any undisolved sugar (I didn't by the way). My s.g. was 1.080 at the beginning.

Pot. Meta first @ 18 hours. Yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme etc. then wait 12 or so hours. Then yeast as a starter. Hours later we be boomin'.

I also have a Blackberry (also 5 gallons) going but it's at 1.020 now and I added Tannin to it but a little more than the peach/strwberry.

GFS peaches were very nice and large slices, frozen. $6.99 or 7.99 / 5# bag.

You need more....
Peach wine I make is 6-7# per gal + 25% more for a f-pac.
Google and download WineCalc Neat program just fill in the fields and will tell U how much sugar to add. You want a starting gravity of 1.060
You need to gat a TA test kit to ck the acid level. You will also need;
Meta
Sorbate
Cote des Blancs yeast
nutrient
clearing agents
carboys etc...

I have all above plus Petic Enzeme, my concerns as a newbee :slp is how do you get a starting SG of 1.060 not knowing how much sugar the fruit has in it. I will be placing the fruit in a mesh bag and smashing it , are you saying that will allow the sugars in the fruit to release and then I add based of the calculator mentioned above?

Also how do you lower the acis if it is too high, I know how to test and how to add the acid blend but have not dealt with High Acid.

Someone who knows more than me will probably give you a good answer.
With my black berry I let it sit in the primary after it had been frozen and thawed, with campden tablets of course for 24 hours. I then pressed the fruit bag to get the most of the juice out, and checked the SG.
With my black berries they almost always ran about 1.02 before adding any sugar or chemicals except for the pectic enzyme.

Mix your sugar water, and add your peaches, camden tablets. Shoot for a little low on the ABV you wish.

While the camden is doing it's thing after 12 hours take a second specific gravity reading. If you had any undisolved sugar it would have raised your s.g. by now.

When finished use a vinometer to see how much total alcohol there is. This will let you know how much sugar the fruit contributed. Save notes for next time. If you start at a s.g at 1.080 even if the fruit gives off a bunch of sugar you will still be okay.

All fruit is different for the amount of sugar they contain.

Another option is to purchase the kit to test sugar in fruit. I forget the name. Sorry it's late.

Latest posts

Back