Peach Problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Callow

Reaction score
Having some smell problems, and a little bit of taste problems too.

after the second racking, I noticed the rotten egg smell. We aired it out, and it was gone. Now, three weeks later, I took the air lock off and got a wiff of what smelled like the eraser off a pencil. It tastes like peach beer. It's not bad, but the smell definately throws off the senses. I believe it's not sweet either. I have an F pac ready.
What can i do about the smell? Do I rack it out a few times?

Having some smell problems, and a little bit of taste problems too.

after the second racking, I noticed the rotten egg smell. We aired it out, and it was gone. Now, three weeks later, I took the air lock off and got a wiff of what smelled like the eraser off a pencil. It tastes like peach beer. It's not bad, but the smell definately throws off the senses. I believe it's not sweet either. I have an F pac ready.
What can i do about the smell? Do I rack it out a few times?
i did splash rack when i racked my peach. the funky smell i had seemed to get better after i stabilized and fpacked...it is much better now...it was started 7/12.

I'm about the same time period. How long ago did you rack and Fpack? Should I rack aggressively, and add Potassium Sorbate and Fpack?

I'm about the same time period. How long ago did you rack and Fpack? Should I rack aggressively, and add Potassium Sorbate and Fpack?

i racked, stabilized (kmeta and sorbate, and 1/4 tsp. more of pectin enzyme) 7/30, fpac 7/31....i should have waited longer in between these two steps. there is a sticky under the fruit wines section on fpacs. i should have read it closer, but i've been lucky with no refermentation and it began to clear after that, yaah!
i plan on racking again 9/2. hope this helps.

Post the recipe and the steps you did. other wise its all a guess.

Mine's really clear already so I think i'm going to just rack, stabilize and Fpack. See where that gets me.
Part of me is now wondering if the old style air lock is what's giving off the rubber smell. The wine still isn't very sweet to taste though.

You should add the f-pac before clearing. F-pac will cloud it up again.

Back