Peach / Mango it is !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK need a little help on this one.

it was a very active and apparently fast fermentation.
I pitched the yeast on this Thursday Morning. I took a reading before I punched down just now and it’s at 1.005

seems very fast. It has lost a lot of flavor so I think it should go into secondary under airlock now.
( the taste could be because I’m on my second glass of my dragon pee) 380764B7-11BF-4297-88D5-065C42C38E19.jpeg
there appears to be a bunch of fermenting still going on but I’m thinking it’s time to remove that must.
thoughts ? Knowledgeable opinions ? Is it good or bad to take this off must into secondary ? It appears to be quite effervescent that might not go good under airlock with little headspace.

I plan on using that must to start a gallon batch Of Frankenwine. Gonna add a little pineapple to it some fresh mango and maybe a little passion fruit juice

Assuming the ferment is close to settling down, it’s ok to keep in primary for a few more days, then rack to secondary. The effervescence, CO2, is a good thing, will protect the wine.

If your hearts set on using the lees to jump start another wine, at S.G. of 1.000-ish, the yeast may be spent. Cheaper and more reliable to use new yeast. Not impossible but may require nutrients to coax the colony back to full strength.

I transfer everything to secondary around 1.020ish. Pour through mesh bag to catch bits and pieces. Still early to be concerned about oxygen and the pouring helps release CO2...and there can be a lot.

The loss of flavor might be more alcohol than sugar and it dominates.

Funny how sometimes the yeast work crazy fast - like they have some place else to go.

Yeah. It’s definitely turning to alcohol. It’s in two one gallon carboys now. Should be OK if I can get the flavor back at the end.

i had a good deal of must left over and that plus a good portion of the gross lees on the bottom are in another bucket now. Usually my ferments have consumed more of the must, this one had a thick cap left over. Gonna see if I can get it to fire off. I added some pineapple chunks, a half pound of fresh mango, and juice from two passion fruit I had on the counter. It was a struggle to get the SG up to 1.075. I didn’t want to add too Much sugar.

Last edited:
Haven't tried re-using lees yet. Some day.

You can always add more sugar. My recent plum desert wine with 1118 yeast got 3 3/4lb sugar additions while in primary. Should be potent.

Haven't tried re-using lees yet. Some day.

You can always add more sugar. My recent plum desert wine with 1118 yeast got 3 3/4lb sugar additions while in primary. Should be potent.
I’ll probably sneak in a little more sugar. It is working like crazy now. I just want it to eat up a little more of the fruit in the must.
edit: oh wow I re-read that - an additional 3 3/4 lb
the first batch of wine I made with recycled lees (Frankenwine) is very delicious.

Last edited:
Added sparkoloid two days ago and this one is not clearing yet. Maybe it’s a negative charge. Not an impressive flavor yet, and a bit of a bite.

Made a bunch of mongo wine over the years (used to have mango trees in our front yard). It's often a bit muted early on, then gets fuller flavors as it ages. Also will drop a shit-ton of fibrous lees, so be prepared to have significantly less wine then when you started. To squeeze out a bit more, I would put what's left over after racking into a bottle and put that in the fridge to separate out. Might only get a little bit more liquid, but also a good education on what's a reasonable amount to expect (there's only so much wine you can get out of the lees). I've tried different methods to try and get as much as possible like different kinds of pressing, the only thing I've seen work well is a centrifugal juicer. Good luck!

Back