Peach ice wine idea farming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am trying to get a couple of ideas for a Peach Ice Wine. I haven't made one before but what I understand about the process is that you freeze the juice and let the concentrate drip off. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated.

To balance the acid I was thinking about letting in some oranges in on the primary and maybe the zest on the secondary.

• Suggestions on the yeast
  • Oak aging? Type and toast? Taste profile
  • Starting volume vs finish volume
  • Target abv?
Thanks

yeast EC1118. no oak this ice wine would be fruity no need to add any tannin. yeast will give you at least 18% if done carefully. nominal volume I would work on is 3 gallons of finished wine..

One Tip DON'T forget the pectic enzyme, without it you will have a cloudy wine for many months. Hit it early and hit it hard. Never heard of any negatives to heavy treatment with pectic enzyme. SO.... I would treat peaches after slicing and before freezing and then again when you have the juice separated out.

Thanks guys. Any idea on treatment time for the pectic? Typically i will do a full day with it, but with it being a concentrated must should i do it a little longer? Also what should I aim for with the target abv that wouldn't have it to hot for to long?

Think the key for pectic enzyme to work is for the must to be at room temp in 60s / 70s. Most chemical activities slow down below that I believe. A good 24 hours should be enough. You have to run that line between waiting long enough and yet not having a fermentation start on it's own. Personally I would try to put in the pectic enzyme as the first thing added to the fruit, if I was chopping up the peaches first thing would be to add the pectic enzyme as I do that. Then do your freeze and juice extraction and maybe a little more pectic enzyme. The more solids in the juice the more pectin is likely to be there.

wow that sounds very interesting I have made peach,peach pear,and a peach port that is one of my favorites but you have intrigued me I wonder if freezing and letting the concentrate drip off will shorten the time it takes for peach to clear ya got my attention peach is a delicate flavor and sometimes needs something to help its body
whether it be raisons white grape juice or I have had success with using a dry malt extract (mainly used in brewing beer ) but is great at adding body to certain wines I wish you luck but how many pounds of peach juice are you freezing

Latest posts

Back