Peach ice wine idea farming

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Kemo, Mar 28, 2018.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
Tags:
  1. Kemo

Kemo Member

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get a couple of ideas for a Peach Ice Wine. I haven't made one before but what I understand about the process is that you freeze the juice and let the concentrate drip off. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated.

To balance the acid I was thinking about letting in some oranges in on the primary and maybe the zest on the secondary.

• Suggestions on the yeast
    • Oak aging? Type and toast? Taste profile
    • Starting volume vs finish volume
    • Target abv?
    Thanks

2. salcoco

salcoco Veteran Wine Maker Supporting Member

yeast EC1118. no oak this ice wine would be fruity no need to add any tannin. yeast will give you at least 18% if done carefully. nominal volume I would work on is 3 gallons of finished wine..

Kemo likes this.
  3. Scooter68

Scooter68 Still getting started at 26 batches & 2 1./2 years

One Tip DON'T forget the pectic enzyme, without it you will have a cloudy wine for many months. Hit it early and hit it hard. Never heard of any negatives to heavy treatment with pectic enzyme. SO.... I would treat peaches after slicing and before freezing and then again when you have the juice separated out.

Kemo likes this.
  4. Kemo

Kemo Member

Thanks guys. Any idea on treatment time for the pectic? Typically i will do a full day with it, but with it being a concentrated must should i do it a little longer? Also what should I aim for with the target abv that wouldn't have it to hot for to long?

5. sour_grapes

sour_grapes Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Umm, what do you mean, "treatment time"? You won't be able to remove the enzyme. I think the treatment time is infinity!

Kemo likes this.
  6. Scooter68

Scooter68 Still getting started at 26 batches & 2 1./2 years

Think the key for pectic enzyme to work is for the must to be at room temp in 60s / 70s. Most chemical activities slow down below that I believe. A good 24 hours should be enough. You have to run that line between waiting long enough and yet not having a fermentation start on it's own. Personally I would try to put in the pectic enzyme as the first thing added to the fruit, if I was chopping up the peaches first thing would be to add the pectic enzyme as I do that. Then do your freeze and juice extraction and maybe a little more pectic enzyme. The more solids in the juice the more pectin is likely to be there.