Paying it forward

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you live under a rock you have no doubt heard the phrase "paying it forward". I have been involved in winemaking forums for quite a few years now. I began using them as a way to learn more about my winemaking as most of you have. I saw them as a fun and interactive way to increase and hone those winemaking skills. I met many interesting people on these forums and many have become good friends. As time went along I was asked to be a moderator on a couple of these forums and of course one was WineMakingTalk. It has been my pleasure to pay forward what I have learned by helping those with questions and concerns with winemaking they had.

I have lived a lifetime of farming (as well as other jobs) and my interests in farming shifted to grapes. Naturally I have helped those trying to grow grapes themselves. Eventually I started my own commercial vineyard and winery using all Cold Climate grapes. It has been a challenge not only in growing grapes to survive the cold winters but also to use these grapes to make a nice wine. I have helped others as I can to do the same but am glad to offer general advice when I can.

Some of you have seen my post in the grape growing and vineyard forum here where I am trying to get a Kiva loan to help me finish off my tasting room so I can continue to give back to my community. To those I apologize that this may be a repeat but it occurs to me that some of you might be interested in paying it forward that only make wine. Because of that I am repeating the main content of that post here for your consideration. Thanks for reading and I promise you this will end soon one way or another.

Friends and colleagues
I am reaching out to you today to personally invite you to help crowdfund a project I am working on here at Hid-In-Pines Vineyard. Normally I would never ask for your help and instead am proud to offer help to you in either winemaking or grape growing however a couple years ago I began an expansion building project of the tasting room. Maybe you have seen some pictures from time to time on here. I hope to soon be able to host larger groups in the new space. This will allow us to serve private groups for showers, birthday parties and a host of fundraising events for causes such as Relay-For-Life and Cancer bGone. They have helped me deal with living with Lymphoma and I want to continue giving back to them and others. Because of the continuing battle with Lymphoma (currently in remission and hope to stay so for a long time), commercial loans have been very hard (impossible) to obtain. There just hasn’t been enough money to finish it off for these expanded uses and possibilities. I am therefore happy to announce that Hid-In-Pines Vineyard is crowdfunding a 0% interest loan on Kiva. Kiva is the first and largest micro-lending service in the world that has distributed $709 million over 10 years, in 85 different countries, among 1.5 million small businesses.
I have moved into the general fundraising period, during which I had 30 days to get enough lenders to reach my goal of $7200 (down to less than 2 weeks now). The funds from this loan will go towards finishing off the winery Tasting Room. I need to level the floor up and tile it. The trim work needs staining and installing. The loan will also help purchase and install the fixtures and tile the floor for a restroom.With the expanded use we also need to upgrade the waste system. Once these upgrades are done we will be able to host all sorts of events instead of having to turn them away because there wasn’t enough room.
I would like to ask you to lend as little as $25 (which you will get back!) to reach my goal. If you would like to support Richard Lamoy and Hid-In-Pines Vineyard, please follow this link to my profile page https://www.kiva.org/lend/1243479 . This is the only way your loan will be tracked as coming through me. Thanks for your support, I am honestly so grateful!
Sincerely,

Rich
Grapeman

I am down to 6 days left in this campaign and I have a ways to go to get to the goal. If I don't reach it the money goes back to everyone. If I make it to the goal I receive the money and am able to finish up what I have started and hope to continue giving back to others. Thank You all!

I can always appreciate a worthy cause. You're getting very close and I hope everyone kicks in to help to meet it.

I have to say that IMO Kiva is an incredibly important and , I think , effective organization, one that allows you to help fund people with micro-loans that can be continually re-distributed each time the loan is returned.

Almost there!

Folks, this is why we are here. To support and help others get the most out of winemaking. With only 6 days left, we can still make this happen.

Let's dig deep if we can.

johnT.

Come' on y'all, a couple bucks loan to advance wine happiness in the universe. Besides when you visit Rich you get to call in an iou!

OK Folks..

I Will make it interesting..

If the goal is met, I will purchase the following and wear it for 24 hours...

Welch.jpg

Not sure what is up with that danr. A couple people said they had problems doing a transaction and having it go through. I think the system just gets overworked at times. I see it even when I am checking up to see how it is going. You could try it again and it may go through alright. Once when I thought I had made a loan to somebody on Kiva it didn't go through and I latere found I had one in the shopping cart. I didn't even know they had a shopping cart.

Managed to get through this morning.Now come on folks-I'm unemployed and scraped up the change,,,good luck grapeman.

Latest posts

Back