pay it forward

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pay it forward.png

I don't participate in things like this, as I don't like being forced to participate. I had a guy get angry with me one time, as he told me he was starting a pay-it-forward, and I told him thanks but no thanks.

A friend had a sour experience at a Starbucks. He got sucked into it ... expecting to pay $2 to $5 USD, the person behind him had an order for her office, $28 ... he was not pleased.

I would rather do it on my own terms. I have bought a lunch on numerous occasions for military personnel while standing in line at a fast food restaurant and I have paid for groceries while standing behind elderly people at the supermarket. On one occasion, there was this lil old lady who was putting things to the side because she couldn't afford it. So I placed them back on the counter and told the cashier that her bill was on me.

Yeah, that's my attitude. I've helped total strangers out, and they wanted to reward me. I declined and told them to help someone else, when they could. It will get back to me, eventually.

It just occurred to me -- this is what we do on WMT. We help strangers, that for the most part we will never meet in person, simply because we can.

years ago. i was in for Christmas, i ran to the post office, as i headed in a old man was trying to sell a quart jar of shelled pecans, i said i didn't need them, that was 35 years ago, till this very day it torments me, $4 = a lifetime of feeling disappointed in myself, i did check and ask the homes around there , never found him, it is, even now it is hard for me to tell this,
Richard

years ago. i was in for Christmas, i ran to the post office, as i headed in a old man was trying to sell a quart jar of shelled pecans, i said i didn't need them, that was 35 years ago, till this very day it torments me, $4 = a lifetime of feeling disappointed in myself, i did check and ask the homes around there , never found him, it is, even now it is hard for me to tell this,
Richard
WARNING… If you’ve experienced this it means you have a heart. It sometimes seems that empathy is dead, but it’s just social media… they make money selling hate and outrage.

I agree with the on your own terms mentality. I've only done it once at a grocery store where a lady left her wallet at home and had to pick up her kids at day care. It wasn't much, like $50.00 or so.

But I do have a negative story. Don't judge me, we went to Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving dinner last year. We were sitting next to an elderly couple. It's kind of hard using the word elderly but they were older than us. The guy had some sort of disability and was in a wheel chair. The waitress told them someone had picked up their tab. The guy almost immediately order 4 meals to go. I don't know what the outcome was because we were finished and left, but the waitress was speechless.

I agree with the on your own terms mentality. I've only done it once at a grocery store where a lady left her wallet at home and had to pick up her kids at day care. It wasn't much, like $50.00 or so.

But I do have a negative story. Don't judge me, we went to Cracker Barrel for Thanksgiving dinner last year. We were sitting next to an elderly couple. It's kind of hard using the word elderly but they were older than us. The guy had some sort of disability and was in a wheel chair. The waitress told them someone had picked up their tab. The guy almost immediately order 4 meals to go. I don't know what the outcome was because we were finished and left, but the waitress was speechless.
always one in the bunch, that messes up heart felt kindness
Richard

sounds like my youngest brother, he once drove 50 miles one way to eat hot cakes for the the poor and homeless, we've not spoken in a few years,
Richard

But I do have a negative story.

never to want this, but i bet God gave you two thumbs up, and that greedy dude, WELL i dont wish to see what god might of gave him,

Last edited:
Back