Patience!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've bottled my first wine ever. Corked it, made it look fancy shmancy and put it all away for the next 2 or 3 weeks but.... I have no patience and really want to try it 🤣 is it just me or does everybody get like this with their first time?
when young i learned from the old timers, but after years away i came back to wine and started again anew, i bulked them 6 carboys 2 years before bottling, i tried watching golf once, but it was way to fast pace for me, lol,,,
Dawg

Welcome to WMT
Dawg

when young i learned from the old timers, but after years away i came back to wine and started again anew, i bulked them 6 carboys 2 years before bottling, i tried watching golf once, but it was way to fast pace for me, lol,,,
Dawg

Welcome to WMT
Dawg
Funnily enough when I was a wee lassie I used to make beer/lager with my dad. I remember sitting perched on the bunker (worksurface) and my job would be to stir the hops on the stove. I used to love doing this!! And I think that's what has brought me to wine making. I don't really drink lager unless it's a really hot day which doesn't happen here in Bonnie Scotland very often. And so having g some time on my hands, I thought it might be a nice idea to make wine.... I have well well and truly down the rabbit hole now 🤣

So I've bottled my first wine ever. Corked it, made it look fancy shmancy and put it all away for the next 2 or 3 weeks but.... I have no patience and really want to try it 🤣 is it just me or does everybody get like this with their first time?
Why don't you try it? I always taste my wine when I bottle, or at least before I decide to bottle. I have opened a bottle the next day, or a couple of days later, and it is amazing what bottle shock can do to a wine. It won't be a waste of wine, it just won't likely be as good as it can be. I have taught myself patience by understanding the reasons we do things.

On my first kits I was thinking I might bottle on the kit date, but after a quick taste I had all the patience I needed. Clearly, not ready! It was an additional 3 months after the kit date that they tasted good enough to bottle.

Actually understanding the changes a wine goes through after bottling will make it much easier to wait on the next round. It will still be fun to try, and it will also be an eye opener when you have another bottle in a month.

Just my thoughts, but I turn everything into an experiment.

🤣 I have 1 big cupboard for storage... that's all and most of it is filled with my first 30 bottles. So I'm now trying to figure out if there's anywhere else I can store more 🤣
I have a large cupboard I store my supplies and aging gallon jugs in. I have carboys under my desk. I have a wine rack in the front closet. Boxes of wine bottles in the guest bedroom closet. I built a sliding door closet in an alcove on the deck for propane bottles and outdoor storage. The top of it is a small closet with a door, stuffed with wine bottle boxes.

Where there is a will, there is a way?

Welcome to WMT!

Why don't you try it? I always taste my wine when I bottle, or at least before I decide to bottle. I have opened a bottle the next day, or a couple of days later, and it is amazing what bottle shock can do to a wine. It won't be a waste of wine, it just won't likely be as good as it can be. I have taught myself patience by understanding the reasons we do things.

On my first kits I was thinking I might bottle on the kit date, but after a quick taste I had all the patience I needed. Clearly, not ready! It was an additional 3 months after the kit date that they tasted good enough to bottle.

Actually understanding the changes a wine goes through after bottling will make it much easier to wait on the next round. It will still be fun to try, and it will also be an eye opener when you have another bottle in a month.

always taste,
BTW, where's your stash,,, LMAO
Dawg

I have a large cupboard I store my supplies and aging gallon jugs in. I have carboys under my desk. I have a wine rack in the front closet. Boxes of wine bottles in the guest bedroom closet. I built a sliding door closet in an alcove on the deck for propane bottles and outdoor storage. The top of it is a small closet with a door, stuffed with wine bottle boxes.

Where there is a will, there is a way?

Welcome to WMT!
PM me your address and when you will be gone,,, :i
Dawg

Thank you!!

I think I am going to taste test it. I was hoping to hold off until nearer Xmas but like u say, tastes with change as the wine ages and it might stop me constantly thinking about it. This was a 10 day kit but I think ur right about waiting much longer for a better tasting wine. Once I have got a wee stock going I think I will be far more patient than I am now, thanks again for the advice! 😊

Thank you!!

I think I am going to taste test it. I was hoping to hold off until nearer Xmas but like u say, tastes with change as the wine ages and it might stop me constantly thinking about it. This was a 10 day kit but I think ur right about waiting much longer for a better tasting wine. Once I have got a wee stock going I think I will be far more patient than I am now, thanks again for the advice! 😊
A 10 DAY kit? I didn't know such a thing existed!

A 10 DAY kit? I didn't know such a thing existed!
Check out M.Y.O Wine kits. 10 days. 7 days to ferment and 3 days for finning. Drinkable from being first bottled but also says it improves with age so a few weeks 😊

Ypu, it does and I made it 😂 and I have just cracked a bottle open... I was expecting it to taste like vinegar and I have been pleasantlysurprised! I can't believe I've actually made it myself! I'm sure it will definitely improve with age so another few weeks should be great!
The whole point is to have fun, good for you!

What kind of wine is it?

Something to consider....

If you like the wine and decided to make another kit now, you'll be drinking the first wine as the second batch ages. There's no reason to even consider patience! 🤔

😂

You will find a bunch of enablers here for your addiction!
No addiction here!
I'm fascinated by the skill, science, and luck of wine making and want to learn as much as possible.
If that means having 1 to 4 wines in primary at any given time, well, you can't put a price on knowledge.:h

The whole point is to have fun, good for you!

What kind of wine is it?
Well, 1 bottle led to me calling my neighbours round.. " you really need to come and try this" so 4 ppl and 7 bottles later, I had to carry my neighbours home because it was so easily drinkable! I also have my grand daughters first birthday cake to make today and I am in not fit state to do it! But at least I don't feel as bad as my neighbours! I had to put them both to bed! 🤣

Well, 1 bottle led to me calling my neighbours round.. " you really need to come and try this" so 4 ppl and 7 bottles later, I had to carry my neighbours home because it was so easily drinkable! I also have my grand daughters first birthday cake to make today and I am in not fit state to do it! But at least I don't feel as bad as my neighbours! I had to put them both to bed! 🤣
It's a rose wine which isn't my normal go to, I usually go for a good chardonnay 😊

I didn't realize I was opening THAT door, I said try 1! 😂

Back