Patience pays off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
As a foreword: I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very patient and am guilty of bottling after three or four months of bulk-aging. While those came out 'alright', I wasn't happy with the final product.

My current wine, the RJS Chilean Trio has been bulk-aging for eight months now, and has been quite the challenge, primarily due to my own ineptitude. Two months ago, I tried it and it just tasted "meh". It tasted like Cab Sauv flavored water. I honestly thought it was a lost cause. This time, I decided "you know, I really need to give it more time to see how it turns out."

I tried it again last night, and holy Batman, it was a night and day difference. I'll be racking once more with some finishing tannins next week, then off to bottling in about a month (just in time for Christmas gifts!)

TL;DR Patience really does off.

I have a story that I think emphasizes your point. About 5 years ago I made a wine called kumis. Kumis is a traditional wine made in the Urals that is made from mares' milk. Mine, I made from cow milk.. and I tasted it a few months after making and it was terrible. I mean undrinkable. But I cracked open a bottle tonight and it was incredible. SO I gotta agree with you. The real secret to wine making is patience. Patience cannot make a badly made wine taste good but it does allow for a well-made wine time for all its flavors and compounds to meld and integrate.

Thanks for the success stories. I have hope for my paw paw wine. Right now it seems to have nothing.

@skyfire322 that's encouraging to hear. I started the WE LE18 Barbaresco in the summer, did an 8 week EM, and was really underwhelmed by the flavor. Watery, as you say. I added extra oak to that provided, it's just quietly bulk aging now. I've mentioned it here before asking for advice and people just say to wait. I hope it improves with time, I plan to just forget about it and let it bulk age at least 9-12 months. Hope it becomes a pleasant surprise.

@BernardSmith how did it taste? I have been meaning to try a small batch just for fun.

So I racked my pawpaw over the weekend. It is starting to develop some flavor; like a weak Pinot Grigio. I’m slightly encouraged.

Latest posts

Back