Pasteurizing Stills and Sparkling(?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Few days ago I saw a you tube brewer pasteurizing still wine by heating wine bottles keeping in (174 degree F) hot water for few seconds and claiming it can stop fermentation by killing the active yeast including killing all harmful bacteria. I am tempted to adopt this process as it is chemical free hence seeking your views.

Secondly, if this process is reliable, can it be used for sparkling wine as well? (by killing all yeast & bacteria first and then re-sparkle it with new yeast + sugar?)

Regards,
Shailesh

Last edited:
* a few seconds, ,,, yes Technically it will kill yeast and bacteria, BUT only if you operate a closed loop pasteurization unit. You have major lag time if the product is in a contained vessel inside a water bath, the standard for compensating for this lag is 45 to 60 minutes at temperature. You should expect that the come down is as slow as the come up time, ,,, ie major thermal load on the wine.
* yeast is easy to kill, I would look at lower temperatures as 50C for about an hour
* I would not suggest stressing glass at two atmospheres of pressure with temperature shock. The standard fill of a glass is preheat (wash ) with hot water as 180F then fill with hot product Close to 205F. Glass breakage is a major risk!

Last edited:
Back