Pasteurizing in bulk

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by GreenEnvy22, Sep 21, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Sep 21, 2019 #1

GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22

I have never pasteurized wine before, but this one very sweet wine that we make for a relative I am worried that it will referment on me even if I am using sorbate.
    I was wondering about people's thoughts on pasteurization. It will be way too many bottles for me to try to do it in bottle. But after I back sweeten it, I was thinking of pasteurizing it in 8 gallon batches, then bottle as soon as it cools. I have a beer kettle that has a built-in temperature gauge which should work well. I do know some wineries pasteurize wine (and lots of beer is), so it must not affect the flavour too much. Anyone with any experience with this?

2. Sep 28, 2019 #2

jgmillr1

jgmillr1

jgmillr1

owner, winemaker

It is not recommended. I believe that breweries flash pasteurize the beer after bottling. Haven't heard of this being done in wineries though. Wineries sterile filter wine into the bottling equipment.

You will most certainly negatively affect the flavor of your wine if you hear it in a kettle. If you just use the correct amount of sorbate and Sulfites prior to your bottling, you should be in good shape.