Parsnip wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewanfish

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have just made my first batch of wine & would like to know if the wine would still be ok to drink in a years time or strate away. The recipe i got was to put parsnips, sugar & yeast in a pan boil it then to leave for 4 days strain it then to bottle it & that is all it said, i beleve now i should of used a camden tablet in the mix before i bottled it, i also used screw tops on the bottles then learned that cork was better so as i took the screw tops off there was frothing coming up out the bottle, would this of been normal. so i'm now at the stage i have 5 bottles corked & 2 with screw tops & are in the garage, so can someone tell me the next stage do i have to drink it strate away or can i wait until it gets better with out the tablets in. it tasted very good before i bottled it & will make another batch up next time home.

Boil the yeast? Did it ferment?
Could you post the whole recipe please? I'm very confused.
If it's frothing in the bottles it will explode. Where did you get this recipe?

Thanks for getting back. I only boiled the parsnips then when it cooled down a bit when warm i added the sugar & yeast ( the yeast i used was the stuff i make bread with:rdo). i then left it for 4 days in the pan & then bottled it. so would it be to late to add a camden tablet to it so i can keep it for a 6 months/year so would it be ok to drink strate away or would you not chance it:slp:slp, as i said before it tasted ok when i bottled it & the bottles are now in the garage until i get home in 3 weeks time :(.
it only started to froth up when i was changing the tops from screw tops to corks as i heard that cork was better.

I'd suggest you get it out of the bottles and back into a carboy with an airlock on it.. Those bottles are in danger of exploding on you.

Doesn't sound like this wine is finished, four days is a very short fermentation.

Do you have a hydrometer?

Please list the entire recipe and where you got it from, so that we can help more efficiently.

Allie :bt

Is there anybody that can get the stuff out of the bottles for you asap? I'd hate for you to get back in 3 weeks time to find it has exploded everywhere.
I'd offer to go and do it for you but it's an 11 hour drive from me. Lol.

Last edited:
Yes you need to get that out of those bottles ASAP. You can just put it into a sterilized bucket or large jug with cloth rubber banded over the top. Find some one else to do it for you. Other wise there'll be one heck of a mess waiting for you when you get home!

I'm afraid i'm a single dad so nobody to do it for me, but the wee fellow & his grampa are going up to the house tomorrow but i'm not sure if i should get them to do it as the wee fellow is only 12 & grampa 79, i should not laugh but it would be a bad way to go 1 just starting his life & 1 near the end. i might get them to put it in a bucket very carefully, at least it will contain the mess if they do go up. then when i get home i will hire a robot that the bomb disposal team use to open it up again.
The recipe i got i think it was from the Hairy Bikers & it was only quantities: 4lbs parsnips,slice & boil until tender then seive, then wait until it cools down then add 3 1/2 lbs sugar, 7g yeast, leave for 4 days then bottle.
Looks like i'm going to have to spend some money on some equipment:rn.
A carboy & airlock is that a place you keep the kids:).

heheheehe...
just 7 bottles?... get grandad to put them in buckets and put them in the coldest place he can find to store them..Do you have room in your fridge? if you can cool it right down it should suspend any further fermentation.. and stall it. Hopefully will prevent bombs and you'll have to get the corks out when you get back. the two with screwcaps on will be your indicators.. you'll be able to unscrew the caps slightly AFTER cooling.. to determine how much gas has built up in the corked ones.

:p

We all know about you scots..

short arms and deep pockets..

get yourself some equipment lad..

Allie ;)

its not that the scots have deep pockets & short arms, it's just that nobody is around to see us spend it :sm

That one of the reasons i put them in the garage i thought it would be cold enough with the amount of snow we have had as i was panicking even holding the bottles to put them in the garage. iv'e got a spare fridge i can get the bomb squad to put the bottles in.
Do i still need to put a camden tablet in to the bottles when i get home or better still would i still be able to drink it after it has fermented. I'm away to make a hydrometer, only joking.

When you get back. you've got 7 bottles worth so that's roughly 5 litres. can you get hold of a 1 gallon carboy from somewhere? there're plenty of online websites for home brewing kit in the UK.. get something couriered/posted out to you. You'll need a gallon carboy.. a rubber bung to fit it and an airlock, hydrometer, campden tablets and some sodium metabisulfate minimum.. potassium sorbate is needed if you are going to backsweeten your wines. That's a small kit basically and won't cost very much. No sense in spending lots of cash on things until you know whether you are going to be hooked on this hobby or not. if you are getting stuff couriered.. buy some cider and wine yeast packets as well.. they're cheap and don't weigh anything.

You might like to try making your own cider from storebought apple juices too.. doing 6 bottle batches is easy enough as a starting point..:h

Allie

I was looking at a website early this morn & was pricing up equipment, so will order it a few days before i get home.
Iv'e been meaning to do this for a while & think i will like the hobby as i made my own smoker from a beer barrel & fridge & the fish, pork & chichen ive tried are brilliant, especally the smoked Mackeral, a lot of people iv'e given it to love them as they are still moist & not as dry as the shops.
Thanks for the info all of you guys:br, i'm just away to phone the wee fellow to move the bottles.

I'm home next wednesday 28th still at sea just now, The first time wee fellow went to the garage he could not find the bottles, then the 2nd time he went he broke the front door key (piece of key still in the lock) & i have the only back door key so the bottles are still in the garage, when he has been in the garage he has not come out drunk with the fumes :d & not complained of a mess so i recon the bottles are fine just now. I'm going to order some equipment at the end of the week so will get stuck in when im home, ive got the list of stuff that St Allie said i would need. When i get home i will try a glass from the bottles at night :dg when im trying to relax & fix the front door lock :D

We all know about you scots..
short arms and deep pockets..
get yourself some equipment lad..
Allie
(Maybe i should keep the wee fellows pocket money off him for a month seen he broke the key & that would pay for the equipment i need) :D:D only joking

Ewan, what are you doing at sea, I am guesing by your name you are fishing?

I used to be a fisherman 22yrs but im alright now, i'm on the oil boats now 2nd Mate, miss the fishing a bit but i got a wee boat last year & slowly rigging it out for fishing fish & clams when im home & the kids are in school, so its a short day for me but the kids like to come out, i had to laugh at the wee fellow last month as i got a box of fish the day before & sold it, he asked if he could out but only if i gave him £10 for helping me on the boat, he's only 12 & he has more money than me in the bank :D he wont be short of a penny in life. kids arnt they great :try

Gotta luv em. And once you get the salt in your blood hard to get rid of it.

I fished here in Alaska for a few years, miss it myself everyday. Got a lil scary a few times. Still wouldn't mind to go out for a couple trips for salmon, but just don't know.

Leanne already told me if I go back on a boat we would be divorced before we even get married. Guess she knows how dangerous it can be. I love her enough to go with her wishes, but, I suppose if I don't tell her..LOL.

Geez I sure miss the money I used to make out there.

be safe out there brother.

Last edited:
Gotta luv em. And once you get the salt in your blood hard to get rid of it.

I fished here in Alaska for a few years, miss it myself everyday. Got a lil scary a few times. Still wouldn't mind to go out for a couple trips for salmon, but just don't know.

Leanne already told me if I go back on a boat we would be divorced before we even get married. Guess she knows how dangerous it can be. I love her enough to go with her wishes, but, I suppose if I don't tell her..LOL.

Geez I sure miss the money I used to make out there.

be safe out there brother.

I'm watching you honey! LOL.

I was just going to say a day at sea catching salmon would not do you any harm but looks like Leanne keeps a good eye on you. yea its a place i would love to visit, seen the programs & the fish you guys get up there, maybe when the kids grow up & there's no ash in the air. hopefully speak to you soon when Leanne is asleap ;) :D

Latest posts

Back