Parsnip wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just going to say a day at sea catching salmon would not do you any harm but looks like Leanne keeps a good eye on you. yea its a place i would love to visit, seen the programs & the fish you guys get up there, maybe when the kids grow up & there's no ash in the air. hopefully speak to you soon when Leanne is asleap ;) :D

Sleep? Oh yeah, I remember that. LOL.
How is the ash in Scotland? Down here it is a bit smelly at times and the weather has stalled but not too bad yet.

The helicopters were flying today to the rigs for the first time since friday here & a lot of the north sea companys are strugling as the foreign workers cant get to britain to relieve & the ones here cant get home they are stuck in Aberdeen, if the planes cant fly i will just have to take the train & ferry home next week. Dont think im smelling the ash but with all the sea air here maybe it over powering it, i better not say to much about the sea air or arcticsid will be going back to sea :D

Hard to beat the English intuition! But, I LOVE THE SEA!!!! Old days I think. had a couple close calls and left a few friends out there who didn't make it back. But you just can never shead it from your soul. I know that YOU know. Now tell her. LOL

Last time I was out we were dragging for Pollock in the Bering Sea, I made 11 thousand US in 20 days. never even went on the deck. was different on the small boats. I made almost 4000US in 24 hours fishing for Halibut. That was a little hairy trip. Saved a mans life that trip. WooHoo. Those days aren't here anymore, but a guy can stil make a few thousand US in a week.

Whats this racking, iv'e just been reading about, looks like i will have to stop the kids money for an extra week to buy a book, do you know of 1 that will do me just now or do i save the money & go & see what the library has.

Now see, my dad was from Aberdeen and I've never been there. I must before I move to Alaska. He married a Sassanach and I'm the crossbreed result. LOL.
Did you never worry for your life on the fishing boats? It's the reason I've put my foot down with Troy. People die suddenly on fishing boats.

Whats this racking, iv'e just been reading about, looks like i will have to stop the kids money for an extra week to buy a book, do you know of 1 that will do me just now or do i save the money & go & see what the library has.

Racking is simply where you siphon the wine off the "lees" (the stuff that collects at the bottom) into another container and let it sit and do it's stuff. The one thing you really, really need to have with wine is patience and then more patience.

Save the money for the wee one, there is a whole bunch of online books that have all the info you need, take a look at them first.

Stand by.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3394

take a look through this thread, there are several books you can read online, look through this, there are 4 or 5 in here.
Once you open these you can save them to a file or print them and have them forever.
ust please always remeber the original authors and if you ever quote them, to give credit to their work. These should answer alot of your questions.

You will need a PDF reader(adobe reader or the like), but these are all excellent references. As far as hard cover books, start a new thread and ask the group. 70% of everything I learned about winemaking came from the help of this forum, 25% I learned in other online sites, and the other 5% from doing. Guess I learned more than I have done. LOL

Just a thought but what are you doing awake at this unearthly hour?

Leanne, he's the mate, someone has to drive the boat while the others sleep.

Ewan, how many hands on board? How big is this vessel?

Last edited:
I was just thinking & reading in another thread (Please explain why and when to rack a wine) When i get home & put my bottles of wine into the carboy should i put the sediment into it as well as there will be a lot of sediment at the bottom of them.
Just read you last post arcticsid will have a look at the link tomorrow afa, nearly finished my watch so will hear you guys tomorrow.
just thought of the fish tank at home the clown fish (Nemo) etc will be fairly hungry nearly 2 weeks with out food, maybe there making algae wine :b

I was just thinking & reading in another thread (Please explain why and when to rack a wine) When i get home & put my bottles of wine into the carboy should i put the sediment into it as well as there will be a lot of sediment at the bottom of them.
Just read you last post arcticsid will have a look at the link tomorrow afa, nearly finished my watch so will hear you guys tomorrow.
just thought of the fish tank at home the clown fish (Nemo) etc will be fairly hungry nearly 2 weeks with out food, maybe there making algae wine :b

No, leave the sediment behind. A little won't do any harm but leave as much as you can.
Do you want me to pop up the road and feed nemo? LOL.

Yea, your right but as ive no friends i had to pick a job with Mate in the title. It's just a rank & dont know where it came from, maybe from sailing ships the captains friends was his mate ;), you not in your bed yet or are you alway on Alaskin time.

Yeah!!!! Take care brother, don't pay anymore attention to the giggling English gal! LOL

When you get home we'll all help you get a new batch of wine going from the begining. The parsnip wine was yestaerday, wine to amaze your friends is the next one.

Sorry you don't have any friends!!!

Take care out there, "mate".

Yea, your right but as ive no friends i had to pick a job with Mate in the title. It's just a rank & dont know where it came from, maybe from sailing ships the captains friends was his mate ;), you not in your bed yet or are you alway on Alaskin time.

I sleep about four hours a day. Troy won't know what's hit him! Maybe I should go to sea! LOL.

Or get a waterbed with life rings on each corner!! LOL

OhOh gonna get in trouble here. Just saying!

All seroiusness, I always wish there was a bed that could mimmick the movement of the sea. A flight simulator could do it, but 30 million dollars for a bed just aint happening!

Ewan, I'll PM you, better ways to talk about these things than in the general forum.

Latest posts

Back