Paranoid? Very slight smell of Sulphur

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbrook

Reaction score
Ok so this is my first batch... I have nothing to go on... But i know Sulphur isn't good.
This smell has been there since primary, but I feel there is a very slight taint of Sulphur. Is this normal...? I had a quick initial fermentation although temp was controlled at 71.5f. After 7 days I had a SG of 1.000 so i racked to secondary... I'm now sealed up under airlock but I'm still smelling that slight smell of sulphur when CO2 is bubbling out of the airlock.
Am I being paranoid, Is this faint smell normal? Should I check Gravity and maybe move to the next stage in the kit even though I should leave it another 10 days according to the instructions...
Very much beginner questions I'm sure, but thank you for the help in advance..

I forgot to mention that the kit is a Vineco Atmosphere 16ltr Amarone... off that makes any difference?

I bet the smell goes away if you quit sniffing around that carboy like a bird dog in heat! Suspect you are smelling CO2 which to me is kinda of sharpness in my nose. You on the other hand being new and paranoid, may think it smells of sulpher.

Old John Prine song says "stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood". Back away from the carboy for ten days, that may kill you, but the wine, more than likely will be just fine! Wine is really pretty tough stuff. :h

Latest posts

Back