Paint

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cher

Reaction score
I need to do a little painting in the basement. Our wine cellar -- where we make/work with wine, not where we store it -- is down there. It is a separate room, with a door. Right now there is one batch still in primary in a bucket and everything else is under glass, either aging or in secondary fermentation.

The paint is latex so the fumes aren't terrible. Has anyone painted near their winemaking area? Is this a recipe for disaster, or at least wine that tastes like paint? I would wait, but there is really never a time when no wine is down there.

Cher,

As long as the secondary fermenting wine is under an air lock, I don't see how the fumes could possibly taint the wine. The same goes for the aging wine which will either be under an air lock or a cork. Fumes from latex paint only last a day or two at most. That isn't enough time for the fumes to seep past your air lock or cork.

Thanks, y'all. That is what I was thinking, but it is nice to have independent confirmation. Will go ahead with the painting.

As for needing to repaint walls in the winery, oxyclean in a spray bottle does a good job taking red wine spray off light colored paint -- it has saved my pale blue walls more than once.

Cher

Yes, you need a little sheen on the paint for clean-ability. Mine is eggshell and cleans up pretty well.

Latest posts

Back