Pét-Nat Sparkling Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trick

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has experience in making Pét-Nat Sparkling Wine at home?

I have a few 450 mL kombucha bottles I used to make sparking Kombucha last summer and can be usable for sparking wine making.

Just saw some introduction of Pét-Nat (Natural sparking wine, which doesn't finish primary fermentation before bottling). It sounds very simple without worrying about the disgorging. I would like to try a batch with 1 gal batch of a hard cider.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Just tried a 5 gallon batch of Seyval, Bottled the other day at 1.01. I'm new to this so have no idea how it will turn out. Letting it sit for a couple of weeks then will open a bottle and see what happened.

Just tried a 5 gallon batch of Seyval, Bottled the other day at 1.01. I'm new to this so have no idea how it will turn out. Letting it sit for a couple of weeks then will open a bottle and see what happened.
Pet-Nat is the easiest way to make sparkling. I did my first test batch a couple of weeks ago. The carbonation works. I bottled at SG=1.005, which is about 1.3 brix and at the end, I found it is hard to open the bottle. I guess SG 1.01 is too high and can buildup very high pressure.
I will see how it turns out after a couple of months of aging in bottle.
I also cooled down half the batch and let the lees settle a bit before bottling. Just bottled the settled version last weekend with one bottle injected with a low dose of SO2. This is to see the effect of SO2 on the secondary fermentation in bottle.
Temperature is at 20°C for all the bottles.

I bottled some Chenin at 1.000 in some beer type flip top bottles about a month ago. I set them aside and stored them at about 68 degrees. I put one in the fridge for a few hours yesterday on a whim to try at a New Year’s Eve party. It opened nicely, not much of a pop but you could see the gas and the carbonation was perfect. I think it needs some ageing but otherwise it was fine. It was a small bottle and I filled about 5 champagne flutes before I got any sediment into a a flute.

It would probably be safer to do the same way bottle conditioned beer is done. Let it ferment out and add sugar, then bottle. You have pretty precise control that way.

I have done that in the past but I decided to try it this way for a change. I left a hydrometer in the car boy and checked it every day. When it hit 1.000 I bottled. You don’t know what you don’t know, but I figured that was just as accurate as fermenting to dry then back sweetening.

Its really hard to gage pressure especially if you plan on doing malo. you woudl idelaly need to know acid breakdown to factor in malo added pressure. I normally do 1.002 and some vintages its perfect, other its too much. but it sucks when there is too much pressure and you loose half a bottle. Reducing temp during approaching SG is helpful in getting it at the right time.

Latest posts

Back