Oxygen Uptake - Interesting article

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why go so far out of your way to make a point that it’s not practical info for small scale makers? Thats already understood. But that DOESNT MEAN ITS NOT BENEFICIAL TO KNOW** —and certainly no harm in discussing.
I don’t have the means for many things in winemaking- but still find it interesting.
And many people do make large volumes or own small wineries on WMT. Maybe this info helps them. Maybe they know some comparable techniques that could help us smaller scale makers. Who knows?!
But instead of discussing the findings and potential techniques we could do—-we are discussing why the info isn’t relevant? Or trying to poke holes in a report’s references or math- but not the subject itself? Why? This is a damn winemaking forum!
If I don’t find a thread’s topic to be relevant for me, then I just simply skip over it

Exactly! It's just more information. Talk about it, apply it, or skip it, but it's just a choice. It may simply reinforce your techniques. Amazing to me how this simple sharing of information can spark such protest.

Folks who don't have the time or inclination to do all the math to figure out how to apply those findings in practical terms to the home wine maker. This article in a "General Winemaking" has no practical application for the "General Winemaking" folks - Realistically it belongs in the "Yeast, Additives & Wine Making Science" Thread.

ikr
Math is HARD

Legit serious question.

Saturated must is 5mg/L oxygen (5ppm). Let's say it is completely saturated at crush. I'm dropping 50ppm SO2, which is more than double the amount needed to scavenge all of that oxygen. What are the kinetics?

Using the math from my first reply, the must can be saturated with oxygen in 4.1 hours. The kinetics surely aren't this simple, but let's say the oxygen is scavenged as soon as it is absorbed. That 50ppm is capable of taking care of 12.5mg/L oxygen. At that rate of oxygen absorption, my SO2 is "used up" in (4.1 * 12.5)/5 = 10.25 hours. Whoops. I haven't even pitched my yeast.

Thanks for pointing out the article. It has given me a much better understanding of SO2 and oxygen. It took a bit more research to figure out that 1/4 tsp contains about 800 mg of SO2.

Latest posts

Back