Oxygen in apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerjones99

Junior
Reaction score
When racking my wine after primary fermentation instead of using my siphon I just poured it into the secondary fermentation vessel. I noticed a lot of bubbles on the surface then and still now. The air lock has also stopped bubbling. It didn’t occur to me until after that I may have made a mistake. Any tips to save this batch? Or will it be okay? Advice appreciated.

You'll have to do A LOT more than that to ruin a batch of wine.

Like winemaker81 asked, what is the SG?

For what it's worth, I stopped "racking" to secondary about 30 batches ago. Now I "transfer" around 1.020 - I gently pour through a mesh bag (to catch bits and pieces) into another bucket then gently pour into my secondary vessel. It's still fermenting and this early in the process a little oxygen won't matter. After an hour or so fermentation is going like gangbusters again. However, from this point on I care about oxygen.

And welcome to WMT!

You'll have to do A LOT more than that to ruin a batch of wine.

Like winemaker81 asked, what is the SG?

For what it's worth, I stopped "racking" to secondary about 30 batches ago. Now I "transfer" around 1.020 - I gently pour through a mesh bag (to catch bits and pieces) into another bucket then gently pour into my secondary vessel. It's still fermenting and this early in the process a little oxygen won't matter. After an hour or so fermentation is going like gangbusters again. However, from this point on I care about oxygen.

And welcome to WMT!
First time using hydrometer I think it’s at 8?

Attachments

• E595DB0D-0A4B-4764-8FA1-411948921E43.jpeg
    E595DB0D-0A4B-4764-8FA1-411948921E43.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
First time using hydrometer. I think around 8?
We have a thread regarding reading a hydrometer, the video in post #5 explains it.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/how-to-read-hydrometer.10346/
Your picture looks like the SG is 1.010 or 1.011 -- the reading is the bottom of the meniscus. Note that realistically, if your reading is off by 0.001, it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent in how you read the hydrometer. Also, it's best to use 3 digits to the right of the decimal, as it removes ambiguity.

Your wine is not done fermenting, which is typically when the SG hits 0.998 and doesn't change for 3 days. At this point I recommend you ignore the wine for a week, then check SG.

Note on the forum software -- If you type "@" + user name, that person will be pinged, e.g., @BigDaveK will ping Dave. So if several people ask a question, you only need answer it once -- whoever you quoted will get notice, as will everyone who you mention in the post. You can also quote several posts, or sections of posts, and reply to all in 1 post.

Latest posts

Back