OxyClean?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

English

Reaction score
Anyone using Oxyclean on their equipment? Is it suitable as a cleanser for carboys and the like?

It works fine. Just remember, it is a cleaner and not a sanitizer. Clean first and then sanitize.

Smurfe :)

Anyone using Oxyclean on their equipment? Is it suitable as a cleanser for carboys and the like?

Yes it will work great on carboys. One thing to remember though is most oxyclean is the one called "versatile" this has bleach in it. So don't soak any of your stainless steel in it...

I use the non-chlorine oxygenated cleaner from the dollar tree store. It does a fantastic job on cleaning used wine bottles, I've cleaned some pretty nasty looking ones with it.
Dave

Dave,

Yeah I agree that it's a great cleaner, but it sounds like I still need to sanitize afterwards. "Dollar Tree"? I thought that was a local store down here.

Yeah, you still sanitize before use, I use a metabisulfite solution for that. We have Dollar Tree up here too!
Dave

We have Dollar Tree's here in Louisiana and if I remember, they had them in Illinois when I lived there as well.

Not sure why we're promoting a chain of stores not related to wine making, butsince I was pretty sure that they were in Washington State too, I did some research.

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_Tree) they are located in 48 states (as of July 2006) and are based out of Virginia.

Steve

I buy lots of stuff for wine making at the Dollar Stores. I buy my scrub brushes, Rubbermaid totes to store stuff as well as to use for cleaning tubs. I buy buckets, Oxy-Clean, turkey basters for Wine Thief's and all kinds of other stuff.

I buy lots of stuff for wine making at the Dollar Stores. I buy my scrub brushes, Rubbermaid totes to store stuff as well as to use for cleaning tubs. I buy buckets, Oxy-Clean, turkey basters for Wine Thief's and all kinds of other stuff.

Well next time I'm down in Colville or Spokane I'll have to take a better look. Right now I need a pyrex-type measuring cup and a couple of different size whisks.

Maybe we should start a thread about the 'kitchen stuff' that we use as wine making equipment.

Steve

I buy all of that kind of stuff at the Dollar Stores. We have a few different chains around here. Measuring cups and stuff like that would definitely be bought there. I could get them at Wal Mart as well but I really dislike shopping there and try to avoid that store like the plague.

Back