Oxy cleaners

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJsBasement

All in
Reaction score
I'm cleaning bottles and carboys to rack and bottle some wine and I filled what I thought was a clean carboy full of one step last night, this morning the cleaner is still just bubbling away. I know that all the oxy cleaners work by oxidizing stuff to remove it but do the bubbles necessary mean its still cleaning or will the bubbles just collect on any imperfection in the glass. This carboy was cleaned with one step after last use and has has a small amount of kmeta solution in the bottom with a solid stopper for maybe 3 months. Should I take the bubbles as a sign it's still cleaning.

If you are using Oxy Clean, then no, also get it out of the carboy before much longer. Oxy Clean is a great cleaner but tends to leave rough sediment stuck to the side of the glass if left for several hours. I would recommend a carboy brush and a good scrubbing, then dump it, rinse it several times with clean water then give it a spray dose of K-meta, then set it on a carboy drainer.
Other cleaners like one step are kinda the same with the exception that you do not need the K-meta spray.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Duster, soon as I started reading your post it clicked and I remember reading others say about a film from prolonged cleaner soaks. Guess I'll get the drill cleaner back out.

TJ, I have found that Dawn dishwashing liquid works well for me. It cleans thoroughly and rinses completely with hot water. Sam's club has a huge bottle for a few bucks that will last forever. I had the "residue problem" with OxyClean and I am reluctant to use it unless I am right there.

BTW, drove through your town last night on my way back to Ohio after the Pirate game (exciting, but a loss nonetheless).

Back