Quantcast

Oxidized Wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
32E169A1-FEA9-473A-B5BE-4665643D1051.jpeg 8C180997-FC76-4DDF-B9EC-384F31DF16CD.jpeg I’m new to win making and didn’t heed the warnings of topping off a bottle!! My small bottle of extra wine oxidized ☹. Luckily my gallon is ok!! Lesson learned!! Always top off the bottle!! I’m tossing it out! See the brown ring on the rim of the wine? See the difference in color? Airlock and bung was tight and holding. Just too much headspace I guess. This was after 1 3/4 months setting.

Last edited:

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
not so fast. have yu tasted the wine. color difference could be just the jugs being used. if taste is still good keep it.

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
not so fast. have yu tasted the wine. color difference could be just the jugs being used. if taste is still good keep it.
It didn’t taste as good as the other one. I tried the taste test twice against the other one. It definitely had something going on.

Reaction score
I have never filled my carboys to the top because I lose so much fluid by the time I rack them over and over they are a couple inches or more below the top rim. That being said I rack them after they reach 0.998 into a crushed campden tablet per gallon and then when clear I stabilize and back sweeten before bottling. Mind you and they are fruits such as pears, apples and plums. They taste fine and don't seem to be oxidized.

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
Have you ever experienced this brown ring in your fruit wine? This is a peach. The gallon carboy doesn’t have it.

Reaction score
I have a peach going now. I started it on 09-01-18 and it is in a 6 gallon carboy 7 inches from the top of the jar and no brown line at the top of the liquid. How many times have you racked it since you first pitched the yeast? Mine has been racked 4 times and on the third racking I added a banana and left it for ten days. Now it has six campden tablet in with the liquid.

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
I have a peach going now. I started it on 09-01-18 and it is in a 6 gallon carboy 7 inches from the top of the jar and no brown line at the top of the liquid. How many times have you racked it since you first pitched the yeast? Mine has been racked 4 times and on the third racking I added a banana and left it for ten days. Now it has six campden tablet in with the liquid.
I was fixing to do a third rack and add sparkaloid to help clear it. Last rack was 9-23

tjgaul

Carboy Addict
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the standard dosage of K-meta (campden) after fermentation is complete is one tablet per 6 gallons rather than one per gallon. That's a lot of sulphite. The good news is that it will subside over time. Extra headspace is never a good thing. You may be able to get away with it for a short period of time, but if you're going to be aging your wine through multiple rackings (6 months to a year) then you are well advised to keep the airspace at the top to a minimum.

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the standard dosage of K-meta (campden) after fermentation is complete is one tablet per 6 gallons rather than one per gallon. That's a lot of sulphite. The good news is that it will subside over time. Extra headspace is never a good thing. You may be able to get away with it for a short period of time, but if you're going to be aging your wine through multiple rackings (6 months to a year) then you are well advised to keep the airspace at the top to a minimum.
I’ve always used one tablet per gallon. It says on the package that one tab equals 1/4 tsp and to use one per gallon. I use one in the beginning when I put everything together then a second one at bottling time. All the recipes I follow which are 1 gallon versions all call for 1 tab.

tjgaul

Carboy Addict
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll let others jump in here. This is a topic that seems to come up periodically.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Campden tablets are one per gallon, powdered K-meta is 1/4 tsp / 6 gallons. I've never used the tabs, so don't know if a tablet equals 1/4 TBS. Doesn't seem like it would, unless maybe the tabs aren't as strong / concentrated as the powdered form..............

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
I'll let others jump in here. This is a topic that seems to
Campden tablets are one per gallon, powdered K-meta is 1/4 tsp / 6 gallons. I've never used the tabs, so don't know if a tablet equals 1/4 TBS. Doesn't seem like it would, unless maybe the tabs aren't as strong / concentrated as the powdered form
Campden tablets are one per gallon, powdered K-meta is 1/4 tsp / 6 gallons. I've never used the tabs, so don't know if a tablet equals 1/4 TBS. Doesn't seem like it would, unless maybe the tabs aren't as strong / concentrated as the powdered form..............

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
OK, I re-read the package online, mine is not too clear, (campden tablet) is two tabs =1/4 tsp. So my one gallon is getting 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite I hope that it’s not so much that it will bother me. I’ve read that commercial winery’s use a bunch of it! I typically have no issues with it but I’ve read some people do.[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
View attachment 52150 View attachment 52149 I’m new to win making and didn’t heed the warnings of topping off a bottle!! My small bottle of extra wine oxidized ☹. Luckily my gallon is ok!! Lesson learned!! Always top off the bottle!! I’m tossing it out! See the brown ring on the rim of the wine? See the difference in color? Airlock and bung was tight and holding. Just too much headspace I guess. This was after 1 3/4 months setting.
The banana is the fruit without the peel that gives it a little more body and some sugars. I made some pear and thought it tasted like MOON-Shine so my wine supplier told me to add a banana to it for ten days to give it some body. I thought it worked great. The next batch of pear I put in 4 and that was two too many for my taste so I used that batch to make wine spritzers by adding soda water over ice. It was awesome.

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
The banana is the fruit without the peel that gives it a little more body and some sugars. I made some pear and thought it tasted like MOON-Shine so my wine supplier told me to add a banana to it for ten days to give it some body. I thought it worked great. The next batch of pear I put in 4 and that was two too many for my taste so I used that batch to make wine spritzers by adding soda water over ice. It was awesome.

Erin Tipton

Junior
Reaction score
Interesting...so do you mash it up before adding? Or drop it in whole or in chunks and does it take a long time to clearify after adding? I may try that, does it change the taste much with one banana? And is that one banana to 6 gallons? Or 1 gallon?

Reaction score
Interesting...so do you mash it up before adding? Or drop it in whole or in chunks and does it take a long time to clearify after adding? I may try that, does it change the taste much with one banana? And is that one banana to 6 gallons? Or 1 gallon?
I pretty much only make 6 gallon batches so yes it is one per 6. I would maybe just use a third of a ripe one "not too ripe" it will turn dark in a couple days and go to the bottom of the jar. No it clears pretty quickly I will add a photo later of mine, after I racked it off the banana it looks pretty clear again and it sweetened it a lil bit.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
OK, I re-read the package online, mine is not too clear, (campden tablet) is two tabs =1/4 tsp. So my one gallon is getting 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite I hope that it’s not so much that it will bother me. I’ve read that commercial winery’s use a bunch of it! I typically have no issues with it but I’ve read some people do.
I don't think that's right.
1/4tsp in 5 gallons is roughly 50ppm.
1 Campden tablet in 1 gallon is rougly 50ppm.
5 Campden tablets roughly equal 1/4tsp of KMS powder.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
For body Keller recommends 2.5 pounds/gallon, simmered to make a banana water, added to the primary. Link. That's way more than one banana per 6 gal. That amount is not detectable in the final product.