oxidized(?) Pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyrhoads

Junior
Reaction score
I started my pear wine from concentrate 27 days ago. Starting SG 1.118. At 0.98 SG I added sorbate, Meta, and racked for the 3rd time (including rack from primary) . The next day it was AlOT darker . The next day it started loosing all it's smell. Within the next couple days it completely lost it's smell then it slowly came back but not as strong as before. Is it trash now? Did it oxidize since i racked it 3 times in the first month? I've been really good about sterilization and keeping oxygen out(except the excessive racking, It was dropping HUGE amounts of sediment and i felt the need to rack).

Also if it is oxidized could i possibly run it through a still and get some (decent) drinkable brandy?

Illegal to distill unfortunately :( ... Probly a few too many people blowing themselves up in the 30's.

What does it TASTE like?
It may be you are smelling the sulfur
I would not toss it....yet...way to early to make that decision.

It's hard to tell it TASTES like a weird strong vodka or brandy. (it's 17%ABV) Mostly I can just taste alcohol, and some flavors...not that the flavors are horrible but i really can't taste any pear. My main concern was the color. Isn't bottleshock just oxidation, and will cure with age? Could this be because i racked it several times in a short period of time?

It's hard to tell it TASTES like a weird strong vodka or brandy. (it's 17%ABV) Mostly I can just taste alcohol, and some flavors...not that the flavors are horrible but i really can't taste any pear. My main concern was the color. Isn't bottleshock just oxidation, and will cure with age? Could this be because i racked it several times in a short period of time?
How do you get 17% from a starting gravity of 1.118? Did I miss something?
Fruit wines should start @ 1.085. That way you will taste the fruit not the alcohol.
Either way.. You have a super alcohol fruit wine. Next time tone down the starting gravity.

Last edited:
Randy.

In the beginign you started with ALOT of sugar and that equals high alcohol in the end. Thats why most everyone in here agrees not to go much over 1.090 for a start, the alcohol will overpower everything, mostly the taste and essence of what you started with.

I want to make an experiment on making high proof wine that I will back sweeten.

All is not lost. You can always add some frozen concentrate(non diluted) or some simmered down fruit and sugar to mellow this out a bit. It wont win you any awards but it'll sure impress your friends to see that Boones Farm still exist.:)

Play with this one, make another.

Troy

Something else you could do. If you can still get some of the original concentrate you could add some of this to back sweeten and take some of the alcohol bite out of it.

You could also get a can or two of canned pears and simmer this down, smashing it of course. till it is some what thic and add this to your wine.

Let us know how you decide to go.

Troy

Ok well it sounds like i'd be better off making some brandy. But what about it being so cloudy after adding sorbate, could the extra rack have oxidized it? I've got a much mellow raspberry/ apple wine started now so not concerned about the pear being great as long as it's safe to drink. (?)

Also is there even a point to keep bulk aging it or should i just bottle it now since it just seems to be for getting drunk?

Go ahead and bottle it Randy. You keep bringing up this word oxidation. I don't think it is. I may be wrong, but I think you just have a high alcohol wine. If you want o backsweeten it go for it. If not bottle it. You'll be surprised that after time some of the alcohol "bite" will mellow out.

Troy7
:b

Alright thanks for the help. At least i have some rocket fuel to help start the weekend :) It's just weird the day after i add sorbate and rack it turns really dark. Think i'll add an egg white before i i bottle.

:DOkay...egg white?

Not necessary. Just bottle it and go on to the next one.

Tell us more about this egg white idea. De gass it good and bottle it. Somewhere down the line it will be fine. Or you could always drink it LOL:D

Troy

Oh one of my winemaking book says to use an egg white to clear it. Since i can't find my finnings i was going to try that. I think i'll drink a gallon or two and run the rest through the still. Is there another word for degassing i've never heard of it in any of my books.

degassing is basically stirring or agitating the hell out of it to release co2 before botling. They make whips that fit on your drill to do this but it can also be done by vogorous stirring. This is normally done after sorbate and before bottling. Or don't and just drink it !!!!LOL:)

Troy
:b

HMMM, randy, is that your whole name or are you a Ozzy Osbourne fan? You could take that Pear wine and buy some Pear juice and delete that rocket fuel down with the Pear juice. You can get pear juice at a nature food store or even by the can in a grocery store. I made a pear wine using these cans a few years back when i was learning and I didnt really use enough fruit for the pear taste to come through but it actually came out like a nice Chablis.

Latest posts

Back