Oxidation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Junior
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my 3rd kit it is Wineexpert private reserve Zinfandel. My first two, although drinkable tasted like they oxidized a little. Like red wine left out overnight. The first I never topped off the final carboy and had about 3 inches of head space below the neck . The 2nd batch I topped off but after it sat about a week with similar headspace. I don't want to make the same mistake. Do I need to top off in the clearing step or after clearing into final carboy? Any help would be appreciated.

Are you adding k-meta each time you rack? I typically recommend adding 50ppm when racking out of primary, then 25ppm each time you rack. 25ppm is about .2 grams granulated k-meta.

Serious bonus points for purging headspace with co2 using a co2 (buy food safe carts) bicycle tire inflator.

If you do that, some headspace shouldn't be an issue. I've had carboys 3/4 full sit six months without oxidation problems. I am personally against topping off.

*every time you rack*, not just the first time. That's where I see most new meadmakers go astray.

I'm getting ready to start my 3rd kit it is Wineexpert private reserve Zinfandel. My first two, although drinkable tasted like they oxidized a little. Like red wine left out overnight. The first I never topped off the final carboy and had about 3 inches of head space below the neck . The 2nd batch I topped off but after it sat about a week with similar headspace. I don't want to make the same mistake. Do I need to top off in the clearing step or after clearing into final carboy? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm wondering if you have oxidation or perhaps some other fault in your wine. Without questioning your analysis, I offer this description just in case :
How you can tell: Oxidized wines lose their brightness, both in color and in flavor. Deep reds turn to a brownish-orange color and have a strange vinegar-and-caramelized-apple characteristic. By the way, white wines are much more susceptible to oxidization than reds, because reds' higher tannin levels act as a buffer.

I am with Paul up there, no reason not to top off. However kit instructions now say, if you plan to bottle on the schedule they give, there isn't a need to. I would probably agree with that, but I never bottle on that timeline. All that just to say, a week, given that you added the potassium metabisulphite provided by kit and your wine probably didn't oxidize horribly.

The color is good except I can see a hint of brown with a small amount of wine in certain light. If it's not oxidation then I don't know what it is. I follow the directions closely and I'm comfortable with the process. My background is Chemical Engineering.

Hi Charlie. You don't tell us a lot about how long the wine has sat in the carboys nor what your process was. But I'm inclined to agree with wineh and you may have something else going on other than oxidation. You said the wine is drinkable. That's about all you should expect from couple month old wine. 6 month old or longer should taste better. IMHO a week of 3 inch headspace shouldn't turn your wine bad. Especially if you added kmeta.

However, I don't have another explaination to offer you.

Thanks
The 2nd batch sat about a week with the headspace before I topped it off and then I let it age in the carboy under air lok for about a month until bottling. It is about 6 months old at this point. Planning to start the next one in a week or so. Consensus seem to be the headspace might not be the issue.

I have made a few dessert wine kits with no major issues. However, when I tried making a reisling from a kit I followed all the instructions, had all the correct readings and was more or less on the kits timeline. However, when I open a bottle I get a very strong smell of alchohol when the bottle is opened and a strong alchohol first taste. This has happened when first bottled. I let it mellow out 3 months bottled but had the same experience (not as powerful but still evident). If I let it sit 10-15 minutes before drinking the initial alhohol smell is gone, but there is still that alchohol first-taste. Any suggestions?

Reason not to top off. On my first couple of kits my carboy seemed way too big and I was overly concerned that the headspace would ruin my wine. I had nothing on hand less than a $30 bottle so that's what I used. A waste of good wine. Now I use box wine and freely top off everything.

I have made a few dessert wine kits with no major issues. However, when I tried making a reisling from a kit I followed all the instructions, had all the correct readings and was more or less on the kits timeline. However, when I open a bottle I get a very strong smell of alchohol when the bottle is opened and a strong alchohol first taste. This has happened when first bottled. I let it mellow out 3 months bottled but had the same experience (not as powerful but still evident). If I let it sit 10-15 minutes before drinking the initial alhohol smell is gone, but there is still that alchohol first-taste. Any suggestions?
From your description, your wines are still quite young. Once they are 12-18 months old that will probably go away. As dessert and white wines are generally served chilled, you can remove from the fridge and uncork 15 minutes before enjoying.

Patience. Wineh is right, dessert wines do need time to mature. The best way for me is to bottle 2 or 3
37.5 bottles and try them from about 9 months at 3 month intervals to see how it's progressing. That's my excuse anyway. It's easier to keep the big boys tucked up in the rack away from temptation.
I know the wine will mature a bit differently in larger bottles, but it let's me keep a check on how it's doing.
Even white wines need a breath of air after opening!

Back