Oxidation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fsim

Wino
Reaction score
Unfortunately something went wrong and when I went to bottle my Chilean Carmenere I got the smell. Not terribly but enough to know I have oxidation. I need some methods other than redules. I will try this first but what else is out there other than dumping 16 gl in the garden?

Reduless does nothing to fix oxidation, it reacts with H2S to get rid of rotten egg smell from stressed yeast .

Last edited:
Oxidation doesn't "smell" at least not anything very noticeable.

What kind of smell are you sensing?

Let me smell this again when I get home at lunch. I don't think it smells like rotten egg but I could me wrong. I have 1 gallon excess and this is normal so whatever happened to the wine happened in the SS keg. The color is normal and not brownish. More to come. Thanks

Oxidation smells like sherry. KMeta can reduce it but not really fix it.

It smells like a really strong alcohol. Cannot smell the wine at all, very over powering. Taste like someone mixed it with ever clear .

22 brix (1.085) to dry would give you a pretty good amount of alcohol, so you may just be smelling the end result of all your work!

22 brix should give you just about 13% on your wine. This is what a lot of California wine are at these days.

I would not panic about the aroma. This is a new wine and needs some time to develop some complexity.

Have you put any though into oaking your wine?

It has been oaked I was actually ready to bottle. The funny thing is the 1 gl of excess I have in a separate glass jug does not have the smell.

First of I would do the copper penny trick to rule out H2S. Pour about 100ml in a glass and put an old copper penny in it. Put a lid on the swirl it around with the glass covered. In a few minutes pour a second glass. Swirl the first one, remove the cover and smell it. Now swirl the second glass in see if the penny improved it or not. If it did you can fix it with some copper.

If it's oxidation, you could try PVPP. It will strip some flavor and color but might save the wine. At the very least it might make it an acceptable wine for blending.

Can you check your S02? Is it possible you over dosed it?

Thanks I'll try that today. I can check for free SO2 will that work?

RW - the copper penny did a good job not 100% but a considerable difference.

First of I would do the copper penny trick to rule out H2S. Pour about 100ml in a glass and put an old copper penny in it. Put a lid on the swirl it around with the glass covered. In a few minutes pour a second glass. Swirl the first one, remove the cover and smell it. Now swirl the second glass in see if the penny improved it or not. If it did you can fix it with some copper.

If it's oxidation, you could try PVPP. It will strip some flavor and color but might save the wine. At the very least it might make it an acceptable wine for blending.

Can you check your S02? Is it possible you over dosed it?

Whats the science with the copper trick? How is it improving the wine, haven't heard about this one before.

Thanks!

Whats the science with the copper trick? How is it improving the wine, haven't heard about this one before.

Thanks!

H2S and thiols bind extremely efficiently and securely to copper. This takes the H2S and thiols "out of circulation" and improves the smell of the wine.

It does NOT need to be an old penny; new pennies, like old pennies, are about 100% copper on the outside. (You know, where the wine is?). :)

Latest posts

Back