oxidation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1

inthewind
Reaction score
i have 5 gal. of apple which seems to be oxidizing. every time i look at it it gets darker so i guess its time to buck up and beg for some more advice. i had inquired about it being cloudy a couple weeks ago so i used some kitosol and now its clearing but it just keeps getting darker now i can only imagine it is oxidizing. i used 5 campdens crushed 24 hrs. before ferment. when it was finished fermenting at .997 i added 5 more crushed campdens . this is when it clouded up. now its clearing and its also oxidizing. whats a begining wino to do? it seems every time i take another step, something else is there to get at my precious apple
Dave

I have added some ascorbic acid in the beginning at the rate of 1 tsp per 6 gallons, you can still add this now to hopefully prevent this from browning any more.

ascorbic acid

i appreciate the speedy reply wade e, so, let me get this straight, when assembling the ingredients, i also add 1 tsp ascorbic acid. before or after yeast?

Right in the very beginning before the fruit even gets in there to prevent any oxidation from even beginning as the amount of meta we use is not enough to prevent oxidation, only enough to kill off wild yeast and microbes. You add the Acorbic acid and the k-meta at the same time. After fermentation is done you can do the same.

verry good, thanks again, would this be more apt to happen with apple or white wine ? i wouldn't think it would be such a big deal with darks or reds. thanks again, when i can return the favor i will. any body got some harley questions ?

This is more of a problem with fruit wines that oxidise very easy like apples, pears, and bananas. Anything that will brown very fast and is typically a clear white wine. Grape wines dont really require this as they stand alone pretty good with just the k-meta added. Darker wines wont really matter as much and I dont use it in anything but basically what Ive mentionedplus maybe a few other fruits like strawberry, you get the point anything white or Rose will benefit from this.

Latest posts

Back