Overtime Earnings - Gone!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
Well I earned some extra money on this check and decided to spring for a new refractometer and another carboy handle. Also got a couple of spare packets of yeast.
:)

The spare's are finding their way into future projects.
The dandelion wine is bubbling away in primary (the last of my spare packs)
Kat is talking about making Skeeter Pee and we are still planning on a pumpkin wine. After we start our RJS Barolo of course.
I'll certainly be using the refractometer at the vineyard. Just hope I keep getting invited back. :)

What receipe did you use for the dandelion? If ya don't mind. We don't have any popping up yet.

Overtime money - easy come, easy go and wine making equipment is a great investment.
Make a blueberry or blackberry wine and use the lees to help start the skeeter pee.
Pumpkin all by itself has very little flavor and this would be a great time to play with some spices. I made a plain pumpkin wine as a base test for flavor and then I made a pumpkin pie mead. At bottling the mead was actually pretty good and we'll be opening a bottle in October. We've had 1 bottle of the wine and it could have used a touch of oak, its nice but nothing really flavor or aroma wise really jumps out at me. Just be aware there is a LOT of sediment in Pumpkin.

Scott said:
What receipe did you use for the dandelion? If ya don't mind. We don't have any popping up yet.
I used Page 81 of Making Wild Wines & Meads as a guide - modified to use what i had available
for 1 gallon
1 tsp pectic enzyme
6 cups dandelion petals
1lb of golden raisins
1 tbsp acid blend
sugar to 1.085 (about 2lbs)
1 cup of orange juice to make the yeast starter.

vcasey said:
Overtime money - easy come, easy go and wine making equipment is a great investment.
Make a blueberry or blackberry wine and use the lees to help start the skeeter pee.
Pumpkin all by itself has very little flavor and this would be a great time to play with some spices. I made a plain pumpkin wine as a base test for flavor and then I made a pumpkin pie mead. At bottling the mead was actually pretty good and we'll be opening a bottle in October. We've had 1 bottle of the wine and it could have used a touch of oak, its nice but nothing really flavor or aroma wise really jumps out at me. Just be aware there is a LOT of sediment in Pumpkin.

I think with the pumpkin i'm going to add nutmeg and cinnamon. Maybe add some oak beans. You'll have to post and update when you try your pumpkin.

xanxer82 said:
I think with the pumpkin i'm going to add nutmeg and cinnamon. Maybe add some oak beans. You'll have to post and update when you try your pumpkin.

You'll need to be patient
smiley1.gif
It will most likely be in October. Could be earlier but I think it needs the time. For my pumpkin mead I just opened up the spice cabinet and thought what do I use in pumpkin pie. I even used pumpkin blossom honey! That one will also be 2 years old in October, but I had no plans to try any until next year. I could change my mind .......

I just worked all day just to make the money for me to buy a Barley Crusher, I wish George would start carrying this sort of stuff so I didnt have to go to his competition for this stuff! Im also buying BeerSmith.

Wade, and you didn't pick up a corker kit haha. I keep finding I never have all the toys for my wines
smiley4.gif

On the refractometer, I have one for my saltwater fish tank is there a difference from the ones you buy for wines/juice?

I didnt know you would use refractometer on salt water, i thought a refractometer just measured the amount of sugar in a liquid by the amount that sugar bends the light. Its news to me, I can see a ph meter being used for that! Sorry, cant afford the corker kit as of yet, does that kit only work wit Port. models or Italian also?Im pretty sure that the the measurements you are reading in sea water is salinity and may not be the same as residual sugar for an sg. but I could be wrong there, I know this is being discussed on a brew forum right now as a digital Hydro has just been introduced on the market and someone has bought 1 to test out this theory.

Latest posts

Back