Overactive Yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud41

Junior
Reaction score
I am currently making a 6 gallon carboy of Apricot wine. I can't remember the exact brand of the mix -- but it really doesn't matter because it was just a can of apricots mushed up.

Anyways, I am using Red Star yeast and spent the first five days fermenting it from 1.09 to 1.04 - at which point I put it into the secondary and in the next 2 days have seen it drop from 1.04 to 1.02. I am worried it is fermenting too fast. Is that possible? The recipe I'm using says it should be in the vicinity of a couple weeks to get to 1.0 to 1.01 but at this pace, it will be there in the next couple days.

When it gets to 1.0, I can use the K-Meta to stop the fermentation, but is it going to affect the wine negatively due to the timeline?

I can't even describe the situation fully - but that's the gist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2-23-08-ApricotinSecondary1.jpg

Last edited:
Fermentation can indeed be done in a few days or it may
take some months to finish. Thats the way nature works.

Generally a fast fermentation gives a less fruitier wine.
"too fast" is not possible.
The only way to slow a fermentation down is by putting
the wine in a cooler room. But as things are already on their way
I would not do anything now. Let it go.

Nor would I stop fermentation but let it ferment out.
Then if needed stabilise and backsweeten.
Stopping fermentation is very difficult without using
large amounts of sulphite and then it is even disputable
if fermentation has stopped definately or just temporarely.

Just let it do its thing without interfering and
then stabillise and backsweeten would me my choice.

Luc

MUD41:

Some yeasts ferment faster than others, and temperature can make a big difference too. Also the level of sulfites (if any) in the original base will affect the speed of the fermentation. And the acidity.

K-meta contrary to popular opinion does not kill least. It slows or stuns the yeast. Then it may start up again. (Thus Luc's comment about temporarily.) Stopping the yeast temporarily with K-meta and cold temperature, then adding sorbate MAY work. I think most home wine-makers let the wine ferment dry and then back sweeten if they want a non-dry wine.

Steve

Thanks for the help guys - nice to know I can get help.

I'll let it run its course and then backsweeten.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back