Over sulfited--how many times to rack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mazaruni

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I over sulfited my black currant wine. An experienced winemaker tasted it, and it gave him the sniffles. I racked and splashed it, and this helped at least slightly. My question is...should I wait a few weeks and rack/splash again? Can I just keep doing this every few weeks until it is better?

I guess I might start testing for sulfite. I've seem Titrets and Accuvin tests, but not sure which is good for dark colored wines.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi there folks,

I over sulfited my black currant wine. An experienced winemaker tasted it, and it gave him the sniffles. I racked and splashed it, and this helped at least slightly. My question is...should I wait a few weeks and rack/splash again? Can I just keep doing this every few weeks until it is better?

I guess I might start testing for sulfite. I've seem Titrets and Accuvin tests, but not sure which is good for dark colored wines.

I think time is your friend in this case. Depending how much you over sulfited it could take a few months to several years. How much did you add?

And yes, if you can test that would help by knowing where you are at, sulfite wise. I think commercial wineries can add around 100 ppm without you being able to taste it, can you taste it at this point when you sample it?

All depends on how much you added. I mistakenly added 2 full 1/4tsp doses a week apart to a batch. Splash racked and tested with the titrets and it was fine.
Those glass titrets are less than $20 and even tho not crazy accurate, they are still good enough to tell you what you need to know.
It’s Such a small amount of red wine needed so it’s not too difficult to note the color change.

Hi there folks,

Titrets are great for whites, but dark reds you cant see colour change.
I took a sample of mine and sent it into a local college's wine lab, they tested it for me for $15.

I think time is your friend in this case. Depending how much you over sulfited it could take a few months to several years. How much did you add?

And yes, if you can test that would help by knowing where you are at, sulfite wise. I think commercial wineries can add around 100 ppm without you being able to taste it, can you taste it at this point when you sample it?

Thanks, ceeaton. I think the problem was mostly when I degassed and racked it a few months ago. It tasted good, and I added 1 campden per gallon since I'd been degassing. I'll bet if I had been testing, I would have noticed sulfite was already sufficient. It has a noticeable sulfite taste and smell, but it dissipates some if you leave the sample open to air. I'll have to decide whether to leave it in the carboy for awhile or bottle and wait a few years!

Titrets are great for whites, but dark reds you cant see colour change.
I took a sample of mine and sent it into a local college's wine lab, they tested it for me for $15.
Cool idea...I should check if my local university would do this. Here in Minneapolis, USA, they have a cold climate grape program.

All depends on how much you added. I mistakenly added 2 full 1/4tsp doses a week apart to a batch. Splash racked and tested with the titrets and it was fine.
Those glass titrets are less than $20 and even tho not crazy accurate, they are still good enough to tell you what you need to know.
It’s Such a small amount of red wine needed so it’s not too difficult to note the color change.
Thanks! I guess I have to start testing one way or another!

Latest posts

Back