Over oaked!?!?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAB

Reaction score
Using one Medium Plus Toast French Oak Winestix per 5 gallon carboy, back in September, for my Chilean Cab from last May, I may have overlooked it. Alas, my wife says it tastes "...too smoky!" So, I promptly removed the oak and I'm now contemplating my next move. Will this wine (14 gallon in all) need to become part of a blend or will the oak dissipate with time? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Using one Medium Plus Toast French Oak Winestix per 5 gallon carboy, back in September, for my Chilean Cab from last May, I may have overlooked it. Alas, my wife says it tastes "...too smoky!" So, I promptly removed the oak and I'm now contemplating my next move. Will this wine (14 gallon in all) need to become part of a blend or will the oak dissipate with time? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Give it some time, the oak generally lays back a bit with some age. Hopefully you’ll find it more to your liking in a few months.

As above. Overoaked a Syrah a couple of years ago and foolishly blended it with all kinds of different stuff. Left myself 3 bottles of the original wine. One year later the original wine is awesome and I'm pissed that I blended it all away.

I have a Cab that was in a new 30 liter barrel for 10 or so weeks. When I removed it the oak was very nice but after tasting it from a carboy 3 months later it appears to now be over oaked. No explaination of why so I guess I'll just have to let it sit.

Very well then, I'll let it sit for a while and try again.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back