Quantcast

Over oaked!?!?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

DAB

Reaction score
Using one Medium Plus Toast French Oak Winestix per 5 gallon carboy, back in September, for my Chilean Cab from last May, I may have overlooked it. Alas, my wife says it tastes "...too smoky!" So, I promptly removed the oak and I'm now contemplating my next move. Will this wine (14 gallon in all) need to become part of a blend or will the oak dissipate with time? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Using one Medium Plus Toast French Oak Winestix per 5 gallon carboy, back in September, for my Chilean Cab from last May, I may have overlooked it. Alas, my wife says it tastes "...too smoky!" So, I promptly removed the oak and I'm now contemplating my next move. Will this wine (14 gallon in all) need to become part of a blend or will the oak dissipate with time? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Give it some time, the oak generally lays back a bit with some age. Hopefully you’ll find it more to your liking in a few months.

FTC Wines

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I over oaked my 2016 Chilean Cab from juice buckets. So I used it as a top off wine. Now after 2.5 years it’s one of our favorites, even gave 10 bottles away for Christmas. So my suggestion is wait! Roy

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
As above. Overoaked a Syrah a couple of years ago and foolishly blended it with all kinds of different stuff. Left myself 3 bottles of the original wine. One year later the original wine is awesome and I'm pissed that I blended it all away.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Cab that was in a new 30 liter barrel for 10 or so weeks. When I removed it the oak was very nice but after tasting it from a carboy 3 months later it appears to now be over oaked. No explaination of why so I guess I'll just have to let it sit.

DAB

Reaction score
Very well then, I'll let it sit for a while and try again.

Thanks.

Latest posts