"over-innoculating" MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
hey folks,

I am about to innocuate just over 28 gallons of sangio for MLF

Can i just divide the 2.5 gram package of bacteria which is actually for 66 gallons? Additionally is it possible to add too much nutrient (opti malo plus)?

You should use it all. Once the pack is opened it cannot be used again. And you can't add too much of the bacteria.
And for 2.5 g you'll need 50 g of Acti-ml if using it. But the opti malo dose is based on amount of wine, not amount of bacteria like the acti Ml
If inoculating all your vessels at the same time just make the bacteria/Acti ml mix up in a measuring cup, and add it proportionately to each vessel. And then dose the opti appropriately to each.

BTW, I only use Opti Malo Plus along with the bacteria... Are you folks using other ingredients?

"over-innoculating" MLF?

Only other is Acti-ml. Its used for rehydrating the bacteria before adding it to the wine. Acti=activate. Opti=optimize. I think. But the ActiML is not absolutely necessary,
As is the same with GoFerm.
Yeast /GoFerm/FermK or O is equivalent to MLbacteria/Acti-ML/opti-malo.

I see your going ahead with the MLF. Did she stay stuck at 1.003?

Only other is Acti-ml. Its used for rehydrating the bacteria before adding it to the wine. Acti=activate. Opti=optimize. I think. But the ActiML is not absolutely necessary,
As is the same with GoFerm.
Yeast /GoFerm/FermK or O is equivalent to MLbacteria/Acti-ML/opti-malo.

I see your going ahead with the MLF. Did she stay stuck at 1.003?

Yup, stayed at 1.003

Wasn't going to lose anymore sleep over it... tried but whatever...

It tastes ok... oak it, add some tannins keep up with the S02 and hope for the best!

After some advice from my LHBS I'm currently running a "forced ferment". Its done commercially frequently for beer I think. (But typically done prior to AF)
I took just about 1.5 cups into a mason jar and added some go-ferm and then an entire 5g pack of yeast. With that much yeast to such a small amount of wine, if anything is left to ferment then it should.
And this is simply to check if this batch actually is capable of fermenting any more or if it's really done. Regretfully I never checked the SG on my attempted restart. Commercially forced ferments are preformed to know what your finishing SG will be on the batch. And leaves all the guessing out of it.

Back