Quantcast

Out Of Date

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Charles

Reaction score
I have a RJSpagnols Orchard Breezin Strawberry/Rhubarb kit that is probable out of date. Can it still be made or will it have an off taste. The juice looks like it may have oxidized. It is kinda brown looking, not red like I would think it should be. Any help here. I tried calling the maker but have not got a response yet. Thanks for any help.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
When did you buy it?
Most likely it is good, the juice won’t be red, the final color of the wine will be driven by the flavor pack that came with it to back sweeten.
Give it a go.

GaDawg

Reaction score
I would change the yeast. New yeast will cost you about $1

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose there is little to loose, except some time. However, it reminds me of the saying, “you can make bad wine from good grapes, but you cannot make good wine from bad grapes”.

GaDawg

Reaction score
Orchard Breezin is not a great wine. They are OK for summer sipping around the pool and the ladies tend to like them but that’s bout it

Charles

Reaction score
When did you buy it?
Most likely it is good, the juice won’t be red, the final color of the wine will be driven by the flavor pack that came with it to back sweeten.
Give it a go.
I actually bought it a couple years ago and it got put in a box with some other things and was forgotten about until I was doing some cleaning and found it. I have it in my primary now and it is perking right along. So we will see how it turns out. Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Charles

Reaction score
I suppose there is little to loose, except some time. However, it reminds me of the saying, “you can make bad wine from good grapes, but you cannot make good wine from bad grapes”.
Yes that is what I thought. I now have it in Primary and it seems to be doing just fine.

Charles

Reaction score
When did you buy it?
Give it a go.
Thanks for the info. I have it fermenting now. Seems to be doing fine.

reefman

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I just fermented an Orchard Breezin Cranberry craze kit that was a good two years old. I just added the f-pack and it looks kinda ugly, but the taste isn't too bad. Its clearing now. I kept the yeast in the frig., so even though it was expired, it worked. I'll check the kit date and let you know how old it really was.
So, I'd go ahead and give it a try.

Update: The kit was dated 9/2015, so its OK so far, not bad at all.
I used the slurry from this batch to make a skeeter pee with Lime.

Last edited: