WineXpert out of date Chilean Pinot Noir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overpinot

Junior
Reaction score
I am a beginner, have an Australian chardonnay in primary, and wanted to get going on a red. We picked the Chilean Pinot Noir, but I didn't learn how to read the date codes until I got home. By my reading, this batch was "produced" (16809) in June, 2009. I haven't opened it or broken the seal, so I'm assuming my local shop would let me take it back. Is this something I should do, or is this product so "shelf stable" that it won't make a difference? Thanks for any experience folks can give. I'm learning.

I think you are missing some numbers;

Winexpert
They break down like this: 00/195/07 0267
00 The first two digits are for internal use: ignore.
195 The next three digits indicate the day it was produced, in this case the 195th day of the year, which is July 14.
07 The next two digits are the last two digits of the year, in this case 2007.
0267 The last four digits show which particular kit of that batch this kit is: in this case, the 267th kit out of about 600

That being said I think its a one year shelf life?
so still good

Last edited:
Got more details on the date code #0516809 0220. Its a Select international, so that's their high end. I just thought that if I was going to spend that much ($109US) to try the best, I didn't want to drink it 6-9 months later only to second guess whether the supply could have been too old when fermenation started. I wanted to take all variables out of the equation.

Is this a first kit? We all get jitters on our first kit.

Kits are pretty shelf stable for a year or more so this baby should give you the same results whether you pitched the yeast today or months ago.

Let us know which way you go.

Based on the unanimity of the sage advisers here, I’m going to stick with what I bought and start it today. Thanks for all the advice. It is kind of curious, however, what lengths one must go to learn when the product was produced and when it may be deemed to have expired.
One more question, this issue had me thinking more of possible oxidation of the juice, but wouldn't the yeast packet have only a limited shelf life? Wouldn't that depend on what strain they put with your product? I know regular baker's yeast doesn't last one year, even in an airtight packet. Obviously this yeast isn't "rapid rise" but thought that might also play into the shelf life. Why don't the manufacturers prominently display the expiration date? Are they trying to protect the local vendor? Just a newbie question at this point. And yes, this is only my second batch.

Wine yeast is totally different then baking yeast. The wine yeast usually have a 2 year shelf life. If you look hard you will see the exp date on each packet. I have used "old" yeast with success. Just rehydrate the yeast before pitching.
Good luck and keep us updated.
You picked a great forum with many experienced winemakers. :ib

Latest posts

Back