Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if anyone in the chicago area wants to trade for some of my 2019 semi-dry Concord, I'll be heading into the city the weekend of July 18th
IMG_20200526_130238.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you both!! They don’t make that kit anymore, unfortunately.

that was an extended maceration with a little added tannin in the start and finish. I don’t know if I have anymore in the basement. we drank a lot of it between Christmas and now.

Who did make that kit? I've never seen a Brunello kit anywhere.

Thanks

They were around a few years ago I think it was spagnola.
Pretty much a Chianti in style just a bit different in composition .

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I kinda thought it might have been Spagnols. You're right, it's made from a sangiovese grape as Chianti is, but grown and made outside of the Chianti region. Brunellos are good wines but Italians consider them to be mostly for tourists and export due to their big reputation but not really superior to many other good sangioveses. I wonder what value Spagnols thought they were adding to a Sangiovese kit besides the name to make it a Brunello.

I have no official documentation for my assertion, just that it's what I was told by Italian acquaintances while I lived in Italy for a time. It is, of course, opinion, but it's the opinion of some Italians. Not that Brunello isn't a wonderful wine; it is. It's just the opinion of some Italians that its reputation and price are a little overblown when compared with other fine Sangioveses. It's also not a problem for the wineries that its fame bolsters the reputation of Italian wines. My hosts in particular were perfectly happy drinking the wine made by the contadino up the road, also the Chilean El Gato that they bought at the supermarket.

"My hosts in particular were perfectly happy drinking the wine made by the contadino up the road, also the Chilean El Gato that they bought at the supermarket."

...and the fox said, "The grapes were probably sour!"

Who did make that kit? I've never seen a Brunello kit anywhere.

Thanks

This was from the Wine Expert Selection International with Skins series. There were four kits - Malbec, Amarone, the Brunello and one other (escapes me right now). WE discontinued them a couple years ago. Sadly... I enjoyed the Brunello. But, I was a big fan of the Amarone.

I may have one of few bottles of that Brunello, I made that kit years ago but don't know the flavor profile now, will check if I have any bottle left.
For me, it was an ok wine.

This was from the Wine Expert Selection International with Skins series. There were four kits - Malbec, Amarone, the Brunello and one other (escapes me right now). WE discontinued them a couple years ago. Sadly... I enjoyed the Brunello. But, I was a big fan of the Amarone.

Oh, that IS a shame. I didn't have a local source for WE kits until just a couple years ago, so that's why I missed that.

Really enjoyed this Chardonnay from @jgmann67. Nice and crisp, but with a subtle oak essence. A great combo of varying styles of Chardonnay and much clearer than the pic would indicate.

C3D50D25-BEA9-4A97-9E1F-0BD26F0A8568.jpeg

I opened this Tannat from @mainshipfred and decanted in the bottle for about an hour before my first taste. Slight fruit notes and strong tannins, along with a brightness I wasn't expecting. It was very nice. For my second taste, I poured a sample through my Vinturi - BAM! Mellowed acidity, firm tannin and hints of dark fruit. You've got a winner here, Fred. Thanks for sharing - I'm anxious to try the other bottle in a year or two.

1605137067605.jpeg

Really enjoyed this Chardonnay from @jgmann67. Nice and crisp, but with a subtle oak essence. A great combo of varying styles of Chardonnay and much clearer than the pic would indicate.

View attachment 67490

I struggled with a battonage with that one. Early on it gave me that a nice biscuit experience. But, I found I liked the wine more as the biscuit faded. It’s finally coming into its own.

I struggled with a battonage with that one. Early on it gave me that a nice biscuit experience. But, I found I liked the wine more as the biscuit faded. It’s finally coming into its own.

I really felt it was a great combo of the crisp, fruity style, and the buttery/biscuit/oak style. A delicious, and versatile wine.

I opened this Tannat from @mainshipfred and decanted in the bottle for about an hour before my first taste. Slight fruit notes and strong tannins, along with a brightness I wasn't expecting. It was very nice. For my second taste, I poured a sample through my Vinturi - BAM! Mellowed acidity, firm tannin and hints of dark fruit. You've got a winner here, Fred. Thanks for sharing - I'm anxious to try the other bottle in a year or two.

View attachment 68143

having some of this tonight myself. Just wow!

Attachments

• ABF6BA9B-2E9B-4EE9-A4A8-EED824C18DA3.jpeg
    ABF6BA9B-2E9B-4EE9-A4A8-EED824C18DA3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back