Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little something that I think is from @ceeaton. Very nice, with good balance, just a hint of fruit and good oak and tannin.

View attachment 58189

That’s his... I have one in my rack. Will do a side by side with one of mine eventually.

We also had one at the last fire pit night at the old house. Agree - very nice.

Saw @mainshipfred today. This is obviously young, but I couldn't resist. I love a good Zinfandel, and this is a good Zinfandel. Medium/light in body and a great balance of fruit and spice. Really well done, Fred. This should be outstanding at the two year mark, but it's already very, very good. Nice label too.

IMG_1673.JPG

Last edited:
BDx and AMH are both wine yeasts, it looks like there is another one listed there as well.

R56, if I'm reading the label right. Fred is a master at separating batches to use multiple yeasts. I'm becoming a firm believer in that, as it seems to really add a lot of complexity to the wine.

R56, if I'm reading the label right. Fred is a master at separating batches to use multiple yeasts. I'm becoming a firm believer in that, as it seems to really add a lot of complexity to the wine.

Thank you Jim and thanks for the kind words on the wine. Vintner's Harvest R56 is one of my go to's for big reds. There is not a lot of information about the yeast but I have always liked the outcome.

R56 Vintner's Harvest
Species : Wine
Fermentation Temp Range (°F) : 72-86
Apparent Attenuation Range (%) : n/a
Flocculation : Medium
Alcohol Tolerance : 13.50%
Pitching/Fermentation : Vintner's Harvest Yeast - R56 Ideally suited for rich, full bodied red wines. Noted for exceptional depth and flavor complexity, R56 exhibits complex aromatics during fermentation, conferring an old world quality which one might only expect from multiple-strain natural flora fermentations. Unusual in complex aromatic strains, R56 still respects the varietal character of the fruit and imparts good structure and balance.
Notes : R56 is also a high glycerol producing strain. A medium rate fermenter with optimal temperature between 22 to 30C (72 -86F) and will ferment to 13.5% abv.
Best Styles : Cabernet, Shiraz, Zinfandel

I found this 2017 Merlot hidden in my cellar but have no idea who's it is. I would call it medium+ body with nice perhaps plum notes, a little peppery which I like and I think I sensed some some very soft tannins. Very nice wine whoever made it.

Attachments

• Other People's 2017 Merlot.jpg
    Other People's 2017 Merlot.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
I found this 2017 Merlot hidden in my cellar but have no idea who's it is. I would call it medium+ body with nice perhaps plum notes, a little peppery which I like and I think I sensed some some very soft tannins. Very nice wine whoever made it.
Ha! Judging by the label, could've been mine ;-) - but I didn't make a 17. Nice find!

That one's mine. I think I also gave you a bottle of that with the actual label on it. ;) Glad you liked it. I think it's pretty good - especially considering how old it is.

We finally opened and enjoyed a 2016 Bravado from @Ajmassa . He graciously gave it to us a coupla years ago, and we were letting it get some age on it. It was lovely. I felt it really punched above its weight.

Color: Very clear. Light garnet. I honestly thought it may be a little thin or light, based on the color.
Nose: hints of stewed fruit.
Initial taste: Whoa! Bright, vibrant taste. Excellent mouthfeel. Pleasing amount of tannin. Bright fruit flavors mid-palate, with cherry dominating. Not thin at all, very robust.
Finish: The finish turned darker, black cherry, bordering on cough syrup. A bit of leather.
Slightly bitter aftertaste, but not at all unpleasant.

Nice job, Andrew! Non Excidet. (<-- private comment :) )

DSCN3659.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back