Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 52503View attachment 52504

Cracked this one a few minutes ago. If I recall correctly, it is from @ceeaton and I got it the first time we met, a couple years back.

Very similar to many Vals I’ve had. Medium bodied, with good balance. It will be perfect in a bit with my pizza. Well done, Craig.
Ah, batch #23, WE SE Original Valpolicella kit. Started 11-21-15, followed directions pretty much to a "T" but added 35g of dried elderberries and 6 lbs of freshly fermented Dornfelder skins (w/BDX yeast). Looks like no additional yeast added so it must have started up pretty quickly from the skins' residual yeast. Finished almost dry at 0.992, bottled on 7-17-2016.

Had a glass last night left in a bottle that was vacuvin'ed for a few weeks. I think it's still actually getting a bit smoother with age (either that or I had been drinking a little too much for a Monday evening). I am glad you liked it since most of your wines are far superior to mine.

We needed a hearty wine to go with the NY strip steaks yesterday. I had the urge to pop this one:

IMG_0008.JPG

Only decanted for a half hour. Could have used another hour to open up I think. Still, it did not disappoint. Deep dark color, full body, lots of tannin and raisiny goodness. I’m hoping my amarone is this good in another year.

Having Fred’s RJS Pinot Noir tonight. A comfortable, light bodied red. Current on the nose and palate. Interesting, darker than I anticipated. Don’t know why... This is a skins kit and mine (same kit) is as dark. Pinots are fussy wines generally. But, this is pleasant with just a bit of acid on the finish.

Having Fred’s RJS Pinot Noir tonight. A comfortable, light bodied red. Current on the nose and palate. Interesting, darker than I anticipated. Don’t know why... This is a skins kit and mine (same kit) is as dark. Pinots are fussy wines generally. But, this is pleasant with just a bit of acid on the finish.

Thanks Jim, it's the 4th and last kit I made. Everything now except for 2 juice buckets is all grape wine.

It was a Ribeye on the Grill for dinner last night.

I saw Jim’s 2016 Unchained in the wine closet and, well... couldn’t help myself.

Some regret that I didn’t decant this wine - a blend of Zin, Cab and PS. It’s a big, big wine that we drank before it’s time.

Still, it is was well-crafted, dark, higher tannin, beauty.

What was your blend @Boatboy24? I’m guessing 60/30/10 with Cab at the top and PS at the bottom.

I got stewed black fruit on the nose and palate.

Mrs Mann approved, too.

Still, it’s probably another year or two until this hits it’s stride. It’s good/very good now. Will be stellar at its peak.

It was a Ribeye on the Grill for dinner last night.

I saw Jim’s 2016 Unchained in the wine closet and, well... couldn’t help myself.

Some regret that I didn’t decant this wine - a blend of Zin, Cab and PS. It’s a big, big wine that we drank before it’s time.

Still, it is was well-crafted, dark, higher tannin, beauty.

What was your blend @Boatboy24? I’m guessing 60/30/10 with Cab at the top and PS at the bottom.

I got stewed black fruit on the nose and palate.

Mrs Mann approved, too.

Still, it’s probably another year or two until this hits it’s stride. It’s good/very good now. Will be stellar at its peak.

That one is loosely modeled after "The Prisoner". It's 41/27/14/18. Zin/Cab/Petite Sirah/Syrah. Big and bold for sure - I'm trying to stay away from it.

Those were all Lanza grapes. I did the same 4 in 2018 with the Washington Winemakers grapes. Don't know if I'll attempt the same type of blend or not, but I'd like to, just to compare.

You're way too kind. That was a 10 liter Eclipse kit and the very first wine I made. I think I gave it to you the first time we met because it was all I had. I have 2 bottles left so I guess I'll have to try one. Don't think more aging will do this one any good.

You're way too kind. That was a 10 liter Eclipse kit and the very first wine I made. I think I gave it to you the first time we met because it was all I had. I have 2 bottles left so I guess I'll have to try one. Don't think more aging will do this one any good.

It's a helluva lot better than my first wine, that's for certain!

Opened a 2017 Black Cellars Norton Blend for dinner tonight.

Very dark, big bodied wine. Fruit forward with little to no oak. Opened up nicely about a half hour after being uncorked.

So, it’s a blend of Norton and what else???

I've got a bottle as well - did your label not have the blend %'s on it? I decided it was time for me to try it. I do get the oak - interesting that you didn't. Just tried my first sip, but may let it sit a bit, based on your comment. Already, I'd say 'well done' though, @mainshipfred.

IMG_0822.JPG

I've got a bottle as well - did your label not have the blend %'s on it? I decided it was time for me to try it. I do get the oak - interesting that you didn't. Just tried my first sip, but may let it sit a bit, based on your comment. Already, I'd say 'well done' though, @mainshipfred.

View attachment 56065

It did, but it blended in too well for me to see it initially. Thanks!!!

Tonight, I cracked a 2017 "Spirit of the Radio" from @jgmann67 . A 'Bordeaux Merlot', as the label says. I can't recall, but I think this was a limited release kit. Very smooth and quaffable - notes of blueberry pie, vanilla and mocha. Well played, Mr. Mann. Cheers!

Tonight, I cracked a 2017 "Spirit of the Radio" from @jgmann67 . A 'Bordeaux Merlot', as the label says. I can't recall, but I think this was a limited release kit. Very smooth and quaffable - notes of blueberry pie, vanilla and mocha. Well played, Mr. Mann. Cheers!

Thank you! Yes, that was an RQ from RJS.

Met Fred after work to pick up the Viognier and he sent me home with this. Only a year old and already just about stellar. Red licorice, black cherry and a hint of vanilla on the nose. It follows on the palate with more black cherry, blackberry and nice tannins. Winner, winner!

I’m enjoying this very much while the BA11 rehydrates in preparation for the Viognier.

IMG_0953.JPG

Met Fred after work to pick up the Viognier and he sent me home with this. Only a year old and already just about stellar. Red licorice, black cherry and a hint of vanilla on the nose. It follows on the palate with more black cherry, blackberry and nice tannins. Winner, winner!

I’m enjoying this very much while the BA11 rehydrates in preparation for the Viognier.

View attachment 56304

Thank you very much Jim!

So, @Ajmassa5983 , I still have a bottle of your Bravado (I believe). Originally, you told me to hang on to it for a bit before opening. Then you dropped off the face of the earth, so I held off on opening it. Sooooo, should I open it now for a report? :wy

I know man. And it’s still not over unfortunately. Right now is just a drive-by. Looking forward to getting my old life back more than you know. Hopefully soon. Just gotta keep my head down & keep on grinding.
In the meantime- pop that cork homie! And let out your inner “Russian judge”. I can take it. I’ll be here. If I fall off it’s likely that I’m on my private island just waiting for the new WiFi install ok? Either that or pushing daisies. But just default to the former ok? Lol
Paul, you own 50% of the remaining Massa Bravado supply sir. Other half I set aside for @Johnd forever ago. When finally able to get back in the game - I look forward to sending out packages to all my WMT buddies. Nobody else appreciates the homemade like fellow winemakers. And I’ll certainly have plenty of it to disperse. Salutè

I missed seeing @jgmann67 yesterday, but I still snagged some of his wines. :) It reminded me that I still had a couple that he gave me a year ago, that he said weren't quite ready at that time. So I decided to crack this one tonight. Pretty sure this is the old Eclipse Barolo kit before they changed the name. I made this one several years ago and my supply has been long gone for some time. But this is every bit as yummy as I remember it. Pronounced, but not in your face, oak, along with dark fruit and good acidity. Gonna be great with the pizza I'm about to devour.

IMG_1069.JPG

Latest posts

Back